Why become a member? ×

Good B string for 34" scale

niceguyhomer

My latest 5 stringer is a 34" scale bass - the first I've owned. It's lovely bass but the B string is a bit mushy. All the other 5ers have been 35" scale and without exception, had much clear sounding and more useable B strings.

Are there any strings with a particularly good B string for 34" scale? The bass came with Elixirs which I don't like and is currently strung with Ernie Ball S/S which aren't much better.

[quote name='chris_b' post='601951' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:20 AM']Hi Al, I only use 35" scale these days but I would always suggest DR strings to people looking for a change. I use Lo-riders or if I can't get them Hi-beams. The MM Fat-beams look interesting, I might try those next.[/quote]

I'm a big fan of DR Strings - Sunbeams are my default choice. I like Fat Beams too - might give 'em another whirl when I put the new pickups in.

[quote name='littleal' post='601973' date='Sep 18 2009, 09:02 AM']What bass is it?

The reason i ask is that i have found different basses like different strings, especially 5 or 6 strings with b strings,[/quote]

It's a Shuker custom jobby.

[quote name='obbm' post='601979' date='Sep 18 2009, 09:09 AM']Alan, I have eventually settled on Stainless DR LoRiders (45-125) on my Stingray 5. I tried all sorts of strings and these have come out the best.[/quote]

Thanks Dave - hope you're feeling better mate.

Ok, I know this might sound bonkers, but have you tried Warwick red label strings? They feel like sandpaper to your fingertips for the first week or so, but the low B has so much clarity and definition and they are so incredibly inexpensive. They ran out of them at the local store and I had to buy a set of rotosounds... Just to put back the 3 months old warwick set. The rotosound 5th was dead in comparison, even though it was new. Donno, maybe I got a dud, but still worth a shot since their price is so low!