Why become a member? ×

What size upright?

Paul Galbraith

Hi guys - I'm new to the forum...

I'm an acomplished electric player (can play jazz) & looking for a decent upright.

* What size doulbe bass do you guys reckon is the best? Is 3/4 standard (or best) for a jazz/ blues player?

I have a 36" 6 string overwater fretless, so hand contortion is not a problem!

Thanks in advance for replies

Edited by Paul Galbraith

[quote name='Paul Galbraith' post='599875' date='Sep 16 2009, 08:42 AM']Hi guys - I'm new to the forum...

I'm an acomplished electric player (can play jazz) & looking for a decent upright.

* What size doulbe bass do you guys reckon is the best? Is 3/4 standard (or best) for a jazz/ blues player?

I have a 36" 6 string overwater fretless, so hand contortion is not a problem!

Thanks in advance for replies[/quote]
If you are used to playing a 36" BG then I guess you could cope with any sized DB beast !
Really the important thing to look for is an instrument whose tone you are happy with. Things like the bridge height and type of strings are adjustable, but if the underlying tone quality is not to your liking, then there is little you can do to change it.
My advice would be to try as many basses as you can before deciding which to go for. You may be surprised just how different each bass can be. Having found something you think you may be able to live with, I would advise finding a pro DB player to take it to for their input - maybe have a quick lesson while you are there - then you will have the confidence to go ahead with the purchase.

Good luck !

The Major

3/4 seems to be the standard. What you are used to aside, you need to think of the practical aspects of transport etc. I have a 3/4 and it takes up a lot of room in the car (I have a medium sized car). Add your other kit and it becomes a factor. With the end pin out & set for the right height for me it's about 7' high (obviously smaller when not in use).

[quote name='TheRev' post='600233' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:15 PM']There's still a fair difference between a 36" scale electric bass and a 41" scale 3/4 double bass - it's hardly going to to be a straight transition.[/quote]

And the whole technique is different anyway. So I'll be very surprised if you ever plump for a full size. I have four basses; two are what I would call three quarters, the Upton is a large three quarter and my latest, the Martin is a slightly small three quarter. It doesn't seem to affect the tone, it's nice and light and it's great for gigs (weight, size and tone-wise)

[quote name='TheRev' post='600233' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:15 PM']There's still a fair difference between a 36" scale electric bass and a 41" scale 3/4 double bass - it's hardly going to to be a straight transition.[/quote]
My point was this:
I have average sized hands. I play a 35" BG and my DB's are 41" and 42". I have no problem playing any of these instruments as far a stretch is concerned. For someone who is used to playing a 36" BG, bearing in mind the different techniques required for the BG and DB, they should have no problem with the hand-position.

To be honest I've rarely heard any of my pro colleagues referring to the size of their basses in terms of 3/4 or full-size or anything else for that matter. Its either "that's a bloody big bass youv'e got there" or " what a big sound you get from such a small instrument".

Actually a big bass doesn't necessarily mean big tone.

The Major

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='600730' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:06 PM']To be honest I've rarely heard any of my pro colleagues referring to the size of their basses in terms of 3/4 or full-size or anything else for that matter. Its either "that's a bloody big bass youv'e got there" or " what a big sound you get from such a small instrument".

The Major[/quote]

Because it's probably a given that if it's orchestral it's a full size and if it's jazz it's a 3/4 - or am I oversimplifying, Major? But there again, do many musos talk too much about their instrument unless they've just bought it?

I don' tplay one anymore but, in my experience, the 3/4, 7/8, full size debate is only a guide and can be potentially misleading. If you don't define full size as an absolute, how can you define 3/4?

I would recommend you go somewhere where they have several basses of different sizes within your price range and find one you are comforatble with size and soundwise.

[quote name='bassace' post='601054' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:13 AM']Because it's probably a given that if it's orchestral it's a full size and if it's jazz it's a 3/4 - or am I oversimplifying, Major? But there again, do many musos talk too much about their instrument unless they've just bought it?[/quote]
We get all size basses in the orch. Tom Martin has been in a few times recently and his main bass (one of his own making) is on the small side (yet big in tone). For Prom in the Park last week, he brought another bass (old English i think) which was much bigger. One of our regular deps has an old Italian which is tiny, but again a big sound.

My jazz bass is fairly big (and heavy!), makes a big pizz sound but curiously rather thin with the bow (despite my new Evah Pirazzi strings) whereas my orch bass is just an average size with a shortish stop (41") and an average sound, strong in the middle register.

The late Dave Fletcher had a monster of a bass - and he was a short guy (but powerful and stocky). I heard it was up for sale around the £70K mark.

There really isn't any pattern to this. Players choose their basses for the sound and playability that they are comfortable with.

One of our (diminutive) girl players bought a big beefy old Italian (paid in excess of £30K for it) only to find, after a year or so, that she was developing various pains from playing. She tried going back to her small student bass, but the pains persisted, so now she has taken a year off to re-work her technique to cope with the big brute (which is an amazing bass).

The great thing about playing in an orchestral bass section is that we are all interested in our instruments, and of course we do talk about them, and about the various deps and extras basses that come and go.

The Major

I will defer to the greater knowledge on this forum regarding the various different types of DB. However, as a player of both DB and BG I can only paraphrase George Bernard Shaw and say they are two instruments separated by a common tuning. That's all they have in common whatever the scale length. Look on a DB as a new instrument and learn it as a completely new technique then you won't go wrong.