Why become a member? ×

Tobias Classic 5 pre-Gibson

mrbassman_de

[b]SOLD[/b]

Tobias Classic 5 pre-Gibson, serno 12xx, breathtaking Zebrawood top with Alder body, birdseye maple neck, high gloss finish, pau ferro board, original Bartolini pickups, Bartolini electronics upgraded to HR5.2AP (active/passive switch, two selectable mid frequencies), serial/parallel/single coil switch, original bartolini TCT preamp with pots included so that original state could be easily recovered.

Several dings and dongs on the side of the body, small crack near the lower strap pin. Pics of all dings available on request.

A real beauty and the typical warm tone of the true pre-Nashville Tobias' basses.

Located in Germany, Duesseldorf.

Edited by mrbassman_de

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='598079' date='Sep 14 2009, 12:12 PM']It's pretty narrow as I recall.. I had one of these back in 1990 and it was fabulous but string spacing was something like 16mm at the bridge![/quote]

I know it's not very scientific, but it doesn't look narrow in the picture.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598082' date='Sep 14 2009, 12:16 PM']I know it's not very scientific, but it doesn't look narrow in the picture.[/quote]
You could well be right; they were individually made in those days so this might be completely different to the one I had..

It's a beautiful looking bass though, whatever the string spacing!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598493' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:28 PM']I'm just trying to work out what the cryptic - 2.000,- GBP + s/h obo means

Does he want 2 grand for it????[/quote]

Yes It means 2.000,- GBP plus shipping/handling, or best offer ... :)

String spacing is somewhat around 17mm at the bridge. Great for fast fingerstyle - especially octaves or Rocco lines, worse for double thump or tapping stuff and such unnecessary things... lol

Why do so much players prefer the wide spacings for fivers ? I also offer a great sadowsky, which is a world-class bass, but with a 20mm spacing - nothing for me ! I love Jazz Basses with that spacing - but 5ers ??

[quote name='mrbassman_de' post='598681' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:51 PM']Yes It means 2.000,- GBP plus shipping/handling, or best offer ... :)

String spacing is somewhat around 17mm at the bridge. Great for fast fingerstyle - especially octaves or Rocco lines, worse for double thump or tapping stuff and such unnecessary things... lol

Why do so much players prefer the wide spacings for fivers ? I also offer a great sadowsky, which is a world-class bass, but with a 20mm spacing - nothing for me ! I love Jazz Basses with that spacing - but 5ers ??[/quote]

Thanks :-) Those pesky European decimal commas confusing me :rolleyes:

I love wide spacing on a 5, but I play a lot of stuff where you have to really dig in. The narrow spacing seems restrictive to me. Plus 19mm spacing means you can jump between a 4 and a 5 and not really notice any difference.

EDIT: Sorry... not to detract from your sale with a discussion about spacing. :lol:

Edited by thepurpleblob

I dont have one of these n havn't ever played one but i have got a pre-gibson 4-string 'Toby' Tobias.

And it's freaking excellent, best bass i've ever played.

So yeah, if this one is as good as that then it's a damn good bass...

...not that helpful a comment but it might sway someone...

Dear Rainer,

i think just a few 'lucky ones' know how these feel or sound, because Mike only build prox 2000 for players in the whole world. A real bassfanatic knows the legacy that these basses are the best basses ever made. I remember a quote on the web site from thelowend.com (where they sell new Fodera's by the dozen) that those Tobiasses are the 'holy grail'.

I am astonished about the poor, disrespectful remarks on this instrument, it makes me sick and feel like a complete fool waisting my time on these 'forums'. I'm out of here, searching for another waiste of time on the computer

[quote name='leloupa' post='599840' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:22 AM']Dear Rainer,

i think just a few 'lucky ones' know how these feel or sound, because Mike only build prox 2000 for players in the whole world. A real bassfanatic knows the legacy that these basses are the best basses ever made. I remember a quote on the web site from thelowend.com (where they sell new Fodera's by the dozen) that those Tobiasses are the 'holy grail'.

I am astonished about the poor, disrespectful remarks on this instrument, it makes me sick and feel like a complete fool waisting my time on these 'forums'. I'm out of here, searching for another waiste of time on the computer[/quote]

Errr.... what "poor, disrespectful remarks"?

If a seller has a certain price in his head (no matter how "high") it should always be respected in a way...If you don't agree with it, that's your decision and just move on.
If there's no price mentionned, it irritates certain people, if the price is too high, they sometimes make a laugh out of it. Not everything in the world is supposed to be cheap or a bargain...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='599857' date='Sep 16 2009, 08:12 AM']If a seller has a certain price in his head (no matter how "high") it should always be respected in a way...If you don't agree with it, that's your decision and just move on.
If there's no price mentionned, it irritates certain people, if the price is too high, they sometimes make a laugh out of it. Not everything in the world is supposed to be cheap or a bargain...[/quote]

Ok... so who disrespected the price? Nobody said anything about the price (except me, and I was just confused my the way it was written) I don't know much about these basses but it's clearly a rare instrument so it comes down to what someone is happy to pay. The price doesn't sound outrageous to me.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='wombatboter' post='600101' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:49 PM']"Does he want 2 grand for it????"

Maybe too many questionmarks confused me too about the tone of the reaction ?[/quote]

Ok... sorry for any offence then. It was certainly not my intention - I hadn't a clue what it was worth.

this is a beauty, and if I had the money I'd be seriously considering making you an offer for it. however, I would like to point out that strictly speaking this is not a pre-Gibson buy-out Tobias. Although it is, as you say in the original post, a pre-Nashville bass. ie a bass that was built by Mike Tobias and his original crew in Burbank, after the buyout from Gibson, but before Gibson moved production to Nashville.

[url="http://www.mtdbass.com/pages/company.html#anc_history"]The full history is here, for anyone interested[/url]

[quote name='Gwilym' post='603105' date='Sep 19 2009, 09:03 PM']this is a beauty, and if I had the money I'd be seriously considering making you an offer for it. however, I would like to point out that strictly speaking this is not a pre-Gibson buy-out Tobias. Although it is, as you say in the original post, a pre-Nashville bass. ie a bass that was built by Mike Tobias and his original crew in Burbank, after the buyout from Gibson, but before Gibson moved production to Nashville.

[url="http://www.mtdbass.com/pages/company.html#anc_history"]The full history is here, for anyone interested[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.

The web is full of discussions whether Tobias owners with serno between 1100 and 2044 should label their basses as pre-Gibson or not. Is it more important wich company earns the money with the bass or which luthiers stand behind the production ? Most of the early Tobias owners or those who like this classic brand seem to feel that the real deal is that Michael T. himself prepared the bass. Therefore most of them label their basses as "pre-Gibson" to give this attribute an accent.

I propose the use of the label "pre-Nashville - considered as pre-Gibson". But to be honest - this would be more precise, but won't make anything more clear...

Just my 0.02 c.