Why become a member? ×

Genz or GK

TheDaivisch

Hello! I thought I'd make my first post on the forum an amp related dilemma plus a bit of amp comparison:

I've just tried a GK2001RB/Markbass LM3/Markbass SD800/Markbass LM800 through a GK Neo 212 cab using my Warwick Corvette $$ Zebrano

Here are my thoughts:

The LM3 sounded extremely rich and detailed, with a very strong mid presence. The warwicks punchy mid heavy tone really stood out in this. Very musical sounding, but wasn't really the sound I was looking for. I think I'm after a more hi-fi tone.

The SD800 sounded similar to the LM3, but had a more "clinical" sound to it. Perhaps slightly more hi-fi than the LM3. Not what I'm after either. A very powerful, fat sound, but perhaps a little too clinical.

The LM800 sounded pretty much the same as the SD800, only with less mid control.

The GK2001RB was more the sound I'm after. Combined with the extremely bright, aggressive sound of the Corvette it sounded great. I managed to get a very very Flea-esque tone from it (not surprisingly with the Corvettes MM humbuckers) but it perhaps lacked a little warmth and low end.

So...I was wondering if anyone would recommend I go up a slight price notch and get a Genz Benz? I've read alot of great things about them and it seems that they might have the GK punch with a little more low end warmth(not to mention some great features, tube pre-amp etc etc). I was thinking either a GBE750 or Shuttle 600 (though I'm not too fussed about portability) with the Genz Neo 212. Anyone got any opinions on them? I havent managed to try them.

One slight issue...I've already bought the GK speaker! I can return it within 7 days though.

Go for the GK.

I may be biased but it's a well established fact that GK's are best when they are matched up, purely because of the Bi-amping facility which does give your overall tone a subtle and tamed Hi-Fi edge.

I have tried a Shuttle 6.0 through one of my 2x12 Neo's and I'll just say that I can't get behind the hype they have, all be it impressive for it's weight and size but there was no warmth (Even using the Tube preamp which to my ear did nothing but make it sound worse) and was quite underwhelming.

Also, having had a fair few Warwick's and amps myself (Eden, EBS etc...) I've found that the GK has been the best to play them through, it's so easy to control and tame the the Warwick tone and make it sound how you want.

Edited by Josh

I've had a couple of GK heads - 700RB II & 800RB.

Last Christmas I decided to selll the 700RB & buy a Shuttle 6.0 as it was light, small & had a tube in the pre-amp.

It took a long time to get a good sound out of it and I did give it 8 months but in the end I missed the growly GK sound so I sold it - an bought a Trace Elliot V-type combo.

My reasoning being that I liked having a valve pre-amp, the Trace Elliot sound & I feel that I belong to the bigger is better era where guys would have big stacks of 2 4x10"s or any combination that involves having to stand up on your toes to reach the controls.

Not saying that its right but its right for me.

Back to the question - it sounds like you like the GK2001 but it could be the cabs you were using that lacked the warmth & low end. They are capable of producing bowel stirring low end. You are highly unlikely to get a sound anywhere near the GK sound with the Shuttle cos I tried for 8 months and it wasn't there.

The Shuttle will produce an overdriven tone if you fire the gain up far enough but it totally lked any grunt for me.

also - the shuttle weighs about the same as a packet of cigarettes, the GK weighs the same as a small house. Unless you really need the power, the ability to drive 4 cabs or the built in distortion you'd be better off getting either a 700 or 1001 as they are a lot lighter in comparison.

Thanks guys.

There's still something about the GK head I'm not quite happy with. It sounds very clear and aggressive, but sounds slightly compressed in the lower registers. I dont think it's the cab as the Markbass heads sounded very fat and warm through it.

As for the biamping facility, I tried the GK head in non-biamp mode and while I didnt have as much control, I was basically able to get the same sound.

I think I might go for a Genz Benz GB750 through the cab (which will be putting out 400watts at 8 ohms - plenty for the kind of gigs we do)

I thought I'd attach a pic of the GK rig. Looks pretty impressive. I'm sure that the head unit is actualy heavier than the cab!

[attachment=32687:DSCF6055.JPG]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='596303' date='Sep 12 2009, 07:47 AM']I've had a couple of GK heads - 700RB II & 800RB.

Last Christmas I decided to selll the 700RB & buy a Shuttle 6.0 as it was light, small & had a tube in the pre-amp.

It took a long time to get a good sound out of it and I did give it 8 months but in the end I missed the growly GK sound so I sold it - an bought a Trace Elliot V-type combo.

My reasoning being that I liked having a valve pre-amp, the Trace Elliot sound & I feel that I belong to the bigger is better era where guys would have big stacks of 2 4x10"s or any combination that involves having to stand up on your toes to reach the controls.

Not saying that its right but its right for me.

Back to the question - it sounds like you like the GK2001 but it could be the cabs you were using that lacked the warmth & low end. They are capable of producing bowel stirring low end. You are highly unlikely to get a sound anywhere near the GK sound with the Shuttle cos I tried for 8 months and it wasn't there.

The Shuttle will produce an overdriven tone if you fire the gain up far enough but it totally lked any grunt for me.

also - the shuttle weighs about the same as a packet of cigarettes, the GK weighs the same as a small house. Unless you really need the power, the ability to drive 4 cabs or the built in distortion you'd be better off getting either a 700 or 1001 as they are a lot lighter in comparison.[/quote]

What cab(s) were you running the shuttle through?

I think a Genz Shuttlemax is probably much better than the original Shuttle. I favour Markbass amps purely because they are totally different to my other rig, and they are also much warmer than the Shuttle. I thought the Shuttle was a very good bit of kit, but sterile, and I just don't dig its aesthetics. Weirdly, I like the Markbass aesthetics!

Shuttlemax apparently has more bottom to it cf to the Shuttle, and a better tube driven sound, but, its a BIG amp compared to the Shuttle. Still light mind.

I don't think the UK has picked up much on the GB compared to Markbass. Maybe the trend will kick in hahah.

Edited by Musicman20