Why become a member? ×

On stage with the Doc...

Dr.Dave

What....my pre-CBS Axminster copy??? Work of art , that is!!

The Shuker - The body is African walnut with a 'rotten' maple top - ie. a bit if maple that was rotting!! The neck is 3 pieces of maple with 2 bits of walnut sandwiched inbetween. The headstock facing is regular maple stained to look like the 'rotten' top, there wasn't enough left to use the same bit. The fingerboard is resin.
It has red side LEDs on a seperate 9v battery , they switch on via the vol pot which is push/pull.
The pup is a Bart 'MM' style. Under the vol the knob that looks like another pot is a 3 way rotary switch putting the Bart out of phase or going single coil.
The 3 band eq is one of Jon's own all powered by an 18v system.

When the Status comes back it will look similar enough to the Shuker to be a cousin but not twins!!

The Precision was 5 years old when I bought it in 1978 for £150 , which took more finding then than the £2k it would probably cost to replace it now. Not that it's worth that as it's not all original. Doesn't concern me a jot - I just wanted a better bass and I'd starve before I sold it anyway.
It has a Badass2 (the saddle screws in the original collapsed) , SD 1/4 pounder pup (the original just stopped working one day) ,Schaller M3 machines (originals kept vibrating loose) and a second string guide to avoid flappy 'A' syndrome. I figured that when I had to replace something I may as well buy the best - or what I considered to be the best - that I could. So I did.
The pickguard is non-original , I cut the original into a weird shape because I'm thick as a whale omelette , and the knobs are only a few weeks old. I got £40 for the pitted,scratched and worn originals and the new ones were a fiver!!

I have Dunlop strap locks on all my basses because Schallers dropped a Status on my foot and made me look a twat before the good citizens of York!!

Edited by Dr.Dave

In fact - this being a new forum sort of thing - here's the rest of my toys.

Status Series 3000 - as it was before it went off to Jon. Love it. It's having a new top and then side LEDs.

Shuker Fretless...FOR SALE !!!! It's in the classifieds so do yourself a favour.

Epiphone Explorer or something - hate the bastard with all my being but, as you see, it looks the part in my trib band!!

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='5170' date='May 23 2007, 04:00 PM']Flippin' eck Doc - your beard has got longer since I last saw it![/quote]

Ha! My own beard is toothbrush short at the mo - we have to shave them off to stick the false ones on with gum. The gum stays on your shaven chin for a few days and won't come off making you look like you've been pleasuring a pikeys granny!!

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='6073' date='May 24 2007, 09:55 PM']If u h8 it that much u can always let me take it off ur hands...[/quote]

You can stand behind me and play the 'F's' if you want. I can't even get to the first fret in a taxi!!!

It looks right - it sounds right - it's just a pig to play.