Why become a member? ×

JJ vs PJ

marleyshedge

[quote name='marleyshedge' post='595125' date='Sep 10 2009, 09:18 PM']Gona be gettin a new bass. yay!

Its gona be a jazz body but i aint sure whether it should have JJ or PJ pickups.

Anyone able to help me decide?

im new btw so hi everyone :)[/quote]

Hi and welcome,

Personally I would go PJ as you can solo the p pickup and the p bass sound or you can dial in some of the j pickup for some more bite. Or you could rout a jazz pickup near the neck and have a JPJ configuration

[quote name='marleyshedge' post='595125' date='Sep 10 2009, 09:18 PM']Gona be gettin a new bass. yay!

Its gona be a jazz body but i aint sure whether it should have JJ or PJ pickups.

Anyone able to help me decide?

im new btw so hi everyone :)[/quote]

does the music you listen too have a p bass sound or a j bass sound, what do you want to sound like when you play?
I think something about the placement of the P pup gives it its distinctive sound, I think it sits slightly differently in the mix than a Jazz neck pup. what do you want?

I personally would er towards JJ with nice fancy active electronics and then have a passive P bass too...