Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Mesa Boogie 400+

onehappybunny

Well, I'm getting close to 40 and my back is telling me I no longer need my lovely Mesa 400+ :) (that said, if you're after an all-valve amp it's one of the lighter ones)

I am the third owner of the amp (still have the original receipt) and it appears that it has been very well cared for. Very slight scratch in the paint on the right hand handle is just about visible in the pics, but otherwise it's in excellent condition. Needless to say it sounds lush :wub: and they have been discontinued fairly recently so you can't get them new

I have changed the drive valve for a Mullard ECC81 which adds to the smooth valvey tone and makes the EQ much more responsive. However, I can include the original drive valve should someone want to change back.

To save you google-ing them here's some [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/Mesa%2FBoogie/Bass+400%2B/10/1"]Mesa 400+ reviews[/url]

Priced to sell at £850 (no offers thanks) including the Boschma 6U rack case

Hopefully the guys on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59259"]this Basschat thread[/url] don't mind me linking to let on about the secret that is Boschma rack cases :lol:

I'm based near Guildford in Surrey if anyone is interested and wants to try it out

Cheers

Stu

P.S. I have relisted this without the Lexicon MX300 and I'd messed up [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59024"]the original ad[/url] with too much confusing stuff :rolleyes: Decided it was better to start again!

Edited by onehappybunny

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='594575' date='Sep 10 2009, 11:21 AM']Well, I'm getting close to 40 and my back is telling me I no longer need my lovely Mesa 400+ :) (that said, if you're after an all-valve amp it's one of the lighter ones)

I am the third owner of the amp (still have the original receipt) and it appears that it has been very well cared for. Very slight scratch in the paint on the right hand handle is just about visible in the pics, but otherwise it's in excellent condition. Needless to say it sounds lush :wub: and they have been discontinued fairly recently so you can't get them new

I have changed the drive valve for a Mullard ECC81 which adds to the smooth valvey tone and makes the EQ much more responsive. However, I can include the original drive valve should someone want to change back.

To save you google-ing them here's some [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/Mesa%2FBoogie/Bass+400%2B/10/1"]Mesa 400+ reviews[/url]

Priced to sell at £850 (no offers thanks) including the Boschma 6U rack case

Hopefully the guys on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59259"]this Basschat thread[/url] don't mind me linking to let on about the secret that is Boschma rack cases :lol:

I'm based near Guildford in Surrey if anyone is interested and wants to try it out

Cheers

Stu

P.S. I have relisted this without the Lexicon MX300 and I'd messed up [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59024"]the original ad[/url] with too much confusing stuff :rolleyes: Decided it was better to start again![/quote]
I'm just curious.
How does this one sound compared to the Mesa/Boogie Bass400?
Except beeing louder that is.
I tried the bass400 and it sounded almost exactly like Mesa/Boogie Buster200.I have never tried the 400+ but i have read somewhere that it sounds more warm and fat.Is that true?

[quote name='misrule' post='598990' date='Sep 15 2009, 10:03 AM']Do you know when it was last re-valved? And when was it first sold? (I guess the receipt will tell you that).[/quote]

It was originally bought in April 2007 from the Bass Centre for £1,639. I am not sure whether it has been revalved since, but then it hasn't been used a lot. I have only changed one valve which is the drive pre-amp to a Mullard 12AT7

[quote name='cocco' post='599090' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:46 AM']hey man, just wondering what th impedance on this bad boy is and wether its jack or speakon outputs?[/quote]

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='599102' date='Sep 15 2009, 11:58 AM']The 400+'s as far as I'm aware are all jack out puts and put according to Mesa 500w into 8ohms, 4ohms or 2ohms

This is the loudest head I've ever come across, there isn't anything that touches this currently available in the tube world[/quote]

As Tayste says...all jacks and same output whether 8, 4 or 2 ohms - and yes, it's loud :)

[quote name='Anders' post='599486' date='Sep 15 2009, 06:32 PM']I'm just curious.
How does this one sound compared to the Mesa/Boogie Bass400?
Except beeing louder that is.
I tried the bass400 and it sounded almost exactly like Mesa/Boogie Buster200.I have never tried the 400+ but i have read somewhere that it sounds more warm and fat.Is that true?[/quote]

I haven't tried the 400 (non-plus) but can confirm that it can do warm and fat (but still retains more definition than some other tube amps IMHO)

Thanks also for the kind words :rolleyes:

I've just sent a detailed PM to Anders about this matter comparing it to other tube amps.

I'd like to extend the same off I did to him to anyone interested, I'm in Manchester so if you are round my way and want to try a 400+ you are more than welcome to before making the long drive down south to buy onehappybunny's, not that anyone could ever be disappointed in a 400+ but I can tell people aren't willing to travel to take a punt so if you're near by come by crank it up and then go buy onehappybunny's

Thanks - very kind offer Tayste - appreciate it :) You'll have more experience that I with other tube amps, as this is the only one I've owned

Same offer for anyone closer to me. Come and try the actual amp if you're interested

Edit - also if anyone wants to bring any kit to test the tubes they're more than welcome (I haven't a clue how this would work)

Edited by onehappybunny

[quote name='antti' post='601582' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:04 PM']Very, very nice amp. How you compare this to Orange AD200B. Do you know or is there anyone who can help?[/quote]

Thanks - I haven't tried an Orange so can't really comment. I'm sure others on here may have experience of both, or maybe worth a search on here or Talkbass