Why become a member? ×

Pimp my pbass

charic

Ok i have some spare cash. Been considering buying a new bass but recently realised I REALLY love my fender MIM pbass. However I want more versatility of sound. Considered putting on a warmoth all wenge neck w/steel frets and nickel bridge (no inlays) however I wasnt DEFINATE I would like the feel or the sound.

So second option: Pickup addition
In my p position I have a SD Quarter Pounder which i love and i want to keep that EXACT sound.
Think I may add a SD 4 string music man SMB - 4a just behind the P scratchplate

However as I do this I'd like to be able to keep the exact sound i have now aswell. So I think im going to need volume and a tone control for each pickup. Possibly stacked knobs? Is this possible?

Any other suggestions/Ideas welcome folks :huh:

New scratchplate arriving tomorrow from the aurora project.

Oh yeah and how much can I expect to have my headstock painted black?

Cheers for any helps folks :)

I would think before adding new PUPs as, although they will add versatilty, the routing will be expensive and you may devalue the bass. If you are set on it, I certainly wouldn't put an MM PUP at the neck, I'd put in a single coil J-PUP. However, my advice would be to leave the PUP as is and get a John East pre-amp in there (see his forum on this site). That's if you have room for the battery!
Chris

No room for the battery as you know :)

The MM pickup would be Behind the pbass scratchplate. Like in a sandberg PM.

The routing would cost £100 ive checked. What im wondering about is the wiring. Is it possible to have 1 volume and 1 tone for each individual pup. Im not to worried bout devaluing the bass as im not planning on selling it + its a MIM so its not really worth a LOT to anyone but me lol

The wiring would be similar to that of a Les Paul etc, a volume and tone per pickup. I personally think that a MM style humbucker is going to benefit from a preamp to get sounding real nice. If you're spending the money to rout in a new pickup, might as well get the guy to rout out the space for a preamp. The Aguilar preamps are tiny.

Si