Why become a member? ×

Recent Jazz recording

Steve A

Hi all,

Please check out a recent project I've been part of for my friend, Jazz pianist Hamish Balfour (I'm on double bass on 'Minority', 'Celia' and 'My One and Only Love' and Harmony H22 hollowbody on 'Nature Boy')

[url="http://www.myspace.com/hamishbalfour"]http://www.myspace.com/hamishbalfour[/url]

Hope you enjoy the tracks. Opinions and constructive criticism welcome.

Steve

[quote name='funkmunky' post='594408' date='Sep 10 2009, 12:00 AM']Thanks guys! Really appreciate the feedback. I had a really hard day on that session feeling like I wasn't making any of the chord changes at the tempos we played at so feel a bit more inspired to practise now![/quote]
I'm surprised to hear you say that... I think the lines are very musical and swinging. The best compliment I was ever paid was by a whacky composer in Kent who said "you've got no ego and you play great lines" I think "lines" are underestimated by quite a few jazz bassists and eschewed in favour of theoretically correct groups of notes that just somehow don't cut it for me. You by contrast seem to have a natural sense of line even when (and it's not often) you are not entirely on top of the changes. Familiarity and a little more confidence and generally being on top of the changes would result in some great playing. I would guess you like Ray Brown one of THE great line players IMO.
Keep it up, it will only get better :)

Edited by jakesbass

Jake that's a real compliment thanks.

It's been six years or more since I last played with the piano player and I hadn't expected my friend to have developed so much on the instrument. I also expected that we'd do more familiar standards at slower tempos. Therefore I felt totally in at the deep end and felt like the least experienced member of the trio (no bad thing of course, just a bit uncomfortable) having never done a proper jazz recording before. I studied double bass for two years on a jazz course at Birmingham but pretty much stopped playing after that to concentrate on electric bass, eventually selling my bass. I picked it up again early this year and have been playing some acoustic trio singer/songwriter shows but no jazz gigs.

As a result I felt a severe lack of stamina at the faster tempos. My brain was getting tangled up. I was also playing from written changes because I wasn't so familiar with the tunes. I definitely was having to hear it 'line by line' as opposed to chord by chord, which I guess is the way when navigating fast tempos?

I love Ray Brown of course but I mostly listen to Paul Chambers and would love to play like George Mraz!

Thanks for your kind words. Keep the criticisms coming chaps. It's great to feel inspired (I was considering selling the double bass after the next series of acoustic gigs but before I heard the tracks back. but now I feel like practising).

Steve

Edited by funkmunky

Jakes really knows what he's talking about doesn't he. I liked your stuff very much but didn't quite have the balls to say what Jakes said re being on top of the changes. You seemed to be a smidge behind the beat on My One and Only Love, for example. That will change with the confidence that comes from experience. Your lines are very good. Have you heard Ray Brown playing the song with Oscar Peterson on 'We get Requests? It's a great version and you'll see what I mean about playing on the beat for a slow number and other tracks will demonstrate playing slightly ahead of the beat to give a good driving pulse on up-tempo stuff.

Could I also commend Leroy Vinnegar (who he?). One of my earliest influences and a great walker. Hear him on the Shelley Manne/Andre Previn My Fair Lady CD. Not as naff as the title suggests.

Good luck with your bass playing. If you're ever north of Oxford get in touch if you want a chat and a go on my basses.

Couple of things, Steve. You have a problem with your double bass tone. It needs filling out; a lot of the swing is in the tone and you need to build some sustain. You will hear it more in slower tunes like MO&OL and the two feel sections of Celia, where the notes are not ringing like they should. It’s a stamina thing that will improve with time (it’s not a problem on the Nature Boy track because the sustain is there). Your lines are logical though, as Jake says, and you obviously know what notes to play (and what order to play them in), it’s just a question of dealing with the instrument (the easiest bit to address). Also, Hamish has some timing issues of his own and is really cramping your style on ‘My One and Only Love’, playing the root notes as well as you so the timing issues Bassace mentioned are highlighted. The drummer is not great on the ballad either and his ‘touch’ is a bit laissez faire. To be fair to the guy, some of that may be the recording (one mic or two?).

Your solo on Minority shows me that you have the core skills you just need to tighten them up with practice. One of the things I find if I go away from jazz for too long (and I am talking weeks not years) is my MIND slows down and I can’t think fast enough at high tempos. If you haven’t played jazz for a while, you will need to spend some time with the music to get back into it mentally. Oh, and your dynamics are great.

But, in terms of your ambitions, I think you are a whole lot nearer where you want to be than you think. There are a lot of DB players out there who you could cut today in terms of basic musiciality.

Of course, this is all the opinion of someone who bottled the upright because of CTS.

Thanks guys, really helpful stuff and I'm taking it all on board.

It was VERY difficult to play the ballad (not that ballads are easy anyway). It's so hard to play at slower tempos and maintain that strong time-feel. And you're right about the piano... I was struggling constantly to play WITH him on that tune because of those other issues you mentioned. I suppose with confidence it would be possible to discuss those things and work out a way to play together more successfully.

Tone-wise, I wasn't too happy with the sound of the bass on the recording. I agree with the comments about the notes being too short in various places.

I would go and practise but it's 3:20 in the morning so maybe later!