Why become a member? ×

Playing AND singing together?

Spyke

I'm not exactly great at singing and playing at the same time (I have a theory that it's something to do with handedness - I posted about that in another thread), but I can do it, and there's a few things that have really helped me get somewhere with it.

Firstly, get a recording of the song. Record the vocals separately, then practice along with the recording. If you've got a proper multitrack recording on your computer, you can also turn your bass part and your vocal part up in the mix so you can hear them better for practice. Then just do a bit at a time, and work until you can get the parts together. If you can hear the vocals and bass well, you'll hear where they meet and where they diverge, so you can work harder on those bits.

Secondly, you need to be able to hear yourself well, especially if you're doing harmonies. So spend a bit of time at rehearsal getting the levels right, even if it involves everyone having to turn down a bit. :)

And thirdly, for some reason, I find it easier to sing and play together if I'm playing with a pick. Not sure why. It's annoying, because I play about 90% fingerstyle most of the time. But, if you're primarily a pick player, you might have an easier time with it.

<cough> Geddy Lee </cough>

I started out as a singer, picked up bass when we needed a bassist, never thought it was an odd thing to do until we started gigging and lots of people asked "how do you do that?"

If I learn a bassline and then try to learn the vocals I fail big-time, always try to learn both together, so that it becomes second nature to sing along with the line and rhythm, then you can refine both separately.

Then practice. A lot.

My first instrument was keyboard, so doing two different things simultaneously comes very naturally. Oddly I can't drum for toffee though.

Try playing along to a CD while having a conversation with someone. Make sure that when you converse your voice isn't saying words in time with the bassline or stopping if you have something tricky to play. Keep your foot tapping and groove your body to the rhythm of the music (baby). Then let your brain and mouth worry about the talking.
Once you can do this then playing and singing becomes easy. Also very handy if you plan on doing any teaching.

check out level 42 live at regal theatre hitchin 1983
and watch mark king play eyes waterfallin the bass line is extremely difficult then he sings on top of that and chews gum and presses pedals, what an absolute legend that guy is literally the best in my opinion only of course but just makes it seem so easy! So cool

oh and the jaydee sounds awesome too, and level42 were at their best here before the bullshit came in with the suits and fanny records like lessons in love and running in the family. Sold out sh*te.

But yeah i could never do the singing and playing i can sing and play but not at the same time. I dont know about backing vocals i think itd be a bit easier less pressure e.t.c

[quote name='marcus bell' post='626586' date='Oct 15 2009, 12:16 AM']check out level 42 live at regal theatre hitchin 1983
and watch mark king play eyes waterfallin the bass line is extremely difficult then he sings on top of that and chews gum and presses pedals, what an absolute legend that guy is literally the best in my opinion only of course but just makes it seem so easy! So cool

oh and the jaydee sounds awesome too, and level42 were at their best here before the bullshit came in with the suits and fanny records like lessons in love and running in the family. Sold out sh*te.

But yeah i could never do the singing and playing i can sing and play but not at the same time. I dont know about backing vocals i think itd be a bit easier less pressure e.t.c[/quote]Easy Marcus.