Why become a member? ×

PUP working fine one minute but needs rewinding the next?

Beedster

Hi all
I recently sold my old '73 Jazz body with original PUPs (and an aftermarket neck). I've been playing this bass pretty much every day for the last year or so, and have gigged it and recorded it regularly. Anyway, it arrived at the new owners house with what would apear to be a very low signal from the neck PUP. After discussing it with him I assumed that it's a wiring issue but he's been told by his local tech that the neck PUP is shot and needs rewinding. Much as I'm happy to pay for the work, I guess I'm not all that confident in the diagnosis, especially as I rehearsed the bass last weekend and the PUP was fine.
Any ideas as to an alternative explanation?
Chris

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='591318' date='Sep 6 2009, 12:11 PM']Its actually fine, but the wiring is dodge. Plenty of dodge tech out there. 'Pup is shot' means 'I don't see anyhting obvious'. Have it out and get a meter on it.[/quote]

Hi mate
Thanks, for the reply. The tech has had a meter on it and that's the basis of his diagnosis. I'm just confused as to how that could happen in less than a week, i.e. a PUP go from working fine to not working other than as the result of a connection working loose? Unfortunately the bass in in Glasgow at present so I can't see it and check it for myself.
C

Well, FWIW it has to go sometime...

I did a gig a couple of years back with my '71 P. It was fine all night. For the encore, I switched to acoustic guitar.

A friend was in the crowd and knew the bass part, so I handed my bass to him. The song started.. no bass. The pickup was as dead as a doornail!

It had to be rewound. Weird.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='591380' date='Sep 6 2009, 01:32 PM']Well, FWIW it has to go sometime...

I did a gig a couple of years back with my '71 P. It was fine all night. For the encore, I switched to acoustic guitar.

A friend was in the crowd and knew the bass part, so I handed my bass to him. The song started.. no bass. The pickup was as dead as a doornail!

It had to be rewound. Weird.[/quote]

Nice one Michael, thanks. I'd assumed that the PUPs went incrementally as opposed to all at once so to speak. That's put my mind at rest
Chris

Edited by Beedster

Sounds more likely to be a dry solder joint somewhere if its intermittent.

If they go open circuit they go PDQ and then are dead. Fluctuating between full signal and reduced signal is more likely to be as above.

Oh and there are plnety of 'techs' that know how to twiddle screws but dont know one end of an AVO (Although most that know what they are doing use Fluke now :) )from the other!

Reading between the lines the fluctuation is a one off, between posting and arriving?

If that is the case then maybe the bass has received a good wallop of the sort that won't harm the protected bass itself but something delicate and susceptible inside like wiring or a joint?

A bit Deja Vu Chris too with your amp :)

I'd say trust the diagnosis as you don't have much option, agree on a settlement and put it down to experience.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='591447' date='Sep 6 2009, 03:08 PM']Reading between the lines the fluctuation is a one off, between posting and arriving?

If that is the case then maybe the bass has received a good wallop of the sort that won't harm the protected bass itself but something delicate and susceptible inside like wiring or a joint?

A bit Deja Vu Chris too with your amp :rolleyes:

I'd say trust the diagnosis as you don't have much option, agree on a settlement and put it down to experience.[/quote]

Agreed Peter. I wasn't worried so much about the money as these things happen, more that the diagnosis might be wrong and that I would be effectively throwing money at a problem that might not be resolved. I've suggested the buyer sends the PUP to Andy at Wizard for the rewind and I'll stump up the cash :)

Cheers for the help folks

Chris