Why become a member? ×

ACG Harlot Fretless 4: FINISHED :: "Looks like a Mediterranean ocean under an indigo sky"

Sugden

Cheers :wub: little love struck so far can't wait.

Not long now tho going up on saterday to pick it up, and some blue DR strings arrived today which will be replacing the sunbeams if only for photos lol. But then I do have some thomsik flats to try out on it and dr lo-riders in nickle (ok it was a little bit of a large order from the states)

Its coming back on sunday straight into a band practise then a gig thursday night if my fretless playing is ready then one down in london next saterday so I'll have a full report then.

Edited by Sugden

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='52558' date='Aug 29 2007, 11:32 PM']Mmm, shiny.

Very nice work, but needs more strings. :)[/quote]

in my opinion, any bass with more than four strings needs less. after all, jaco never used a five string. nor does victor wooten. or flea. or les claypool. or most of the great bass players.

[quote name='lwtait' post='69997' date='Oct 5 2007, 02:23 PM']in my opinion, any bass with more than four strings needs less. after all, jaco never used a five string. nor does victor wooten. or flea. or les claypool. or most of the great bass players.[/quote]

Claypool uses fretted and fretless 6 strings bud, it's his influence that got me on to a 6er!
I'm pretty sure Flea has used 5 string Stingrays too, is he not playing one in the Under The Bridge video?

Once again [b]Sudgen[/b], awesome bass, how you finding the fretless?

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='lwtait' post='69997' date='Oct 5 2007, 02:23 PM']in my opinion, any bass with more than four strings needs less. after all, jaco never used a five string. nor does victor wooten. or flea. or les claypool. or most of the great bass players.[/quote]

A low B is a great thumbrest - fact.

I bet Jaco never played any doom metal numbers, either :)

On the strings situation I like 4 so I got 4 simple as lol. Wasnt ready for 6 and I dont think 5's are worth it. If I went for more strings I'd move to 6.

The bass is stunning I love it. Its darker than the images show but I think it looks stunning under stage lighting i think it will be something special.

Fretless playing is something pretty new to me so I'm still coming to terms with that but I love the bass. I played a jazz gig with it in London beginning of last month and it was fantastic. Nothing bellow the 12th fret so it was pretty easy to get to grips with in the week I had it before hand.

Its fantastic the necks stunning, and the over all finish is up to alans normal very high standards. I dont think I'd be able to call it between the harlot and the recurve they are both quite different ortho with some tweeking a similar sound can be had from both.

The new pickups sound HUGE they have such a full sound its stunning.

I'll have to sit down and write a full review but I'm going to be hopfuly doing some recording with the band Im in at the moment soon so I'll wait for some sound clips. Theres a song I think it will just work wonders for.

So you could say Im rather happy with my pair :)

[quote]in my opinion, any bass with more than four strings needs less. after all, jaco never used a five string. nor does victor wooten. or flea. or les claypool. or most of the great bass players.[/quote]

Sorry, you're wrong. I hate the 'oh but 4 strings were good enough for Jaco so it must be good enough for everyone else' argument, it's a really annoying, stupid and a totally blinkered viewpoint.

Victor Wooten uses a five string. Flea used a 5 string stingray on Blood Sugar Sex Magic and as for Les Claypool......have you ever actually heard him or seen him play?!? He has a brace of 6 stringers which he probably uses as much, if not more than his 4 stringers!

Hey hey I dont want this turning into how many strings a man can have thread its been done to death.

Plus its all personal prefrence there is no right nor wrong. A person may play a bass with how ever many strings he sees fit. I choose 4 string others may choose any number makes no difference to me.

If anyone has the nerve to say my choice is wrong they are stupidly narrow minded and shouldn't be allowed on an open disscusion forum. No matter how good the player they are bassing that fact on is, lets face it you arent them get over it who cares.

Now if someone said as they have in this thread they'd prefer it with more strings thats fine by me. Infact I'd love to see another all blue and purple harlot in 5 or 6 string.

Now Im going for a pint with a drunken fretless play to follow.

Edited by Sugden

[quote name='Sugden' post='70134' date='Oct 5 2007, 08:12 PM']Hey hey I dont want this turning into how many strings a man can have thread its been done to death.

Plus its all personal prefrence there is no right nor wrong. A person may play a bass with how ever many strings he sees fit. I choose 4 string others may choose any number makes no difference to me.

If anyone has the nerve to say my choice is wrong they are stupidly narrow minded and shouldn't be allowed on an open disscusion forum. No matter how good the player they are bassing that fact on is, lets face it you arent them get over it who cares.

Now if someone said as they have in this thread they'd prefer it with more strings thats fine by me. Infact I'd love to see another all blue and purple harlot in 5 or 6 string.

Now Im going for a pint with a drunken fretless play to follow.[/quote]

Well said bud, enjoy your pint, and your bass ya lucky bugger...
Eude

• 1 month later...

Having just had the chance to play this at Bay Day yesterday, I can I say "congratulations" on a stunning looking and playing instrument! For me this was by far the best bass I tried all day and the Marleaux which I tried (and nearly bought a similar one last year) was nowhere near as good. The pictures - stunning as they are - do not completely do the bass justice - it's so much better looking 'in the flesh' and of course no amount of pictures or sound clips are a substitute for actually getting you hands on an instrument a playing it. Just love the feel of the neck and fingerboard. I'll be seriously considering Alan for a bass build next year...

Edit: If this had been my bass no amount of persuading would have convinced me to let others get their mits on it without me hovering in constant supervision. So many thanks for giving us all the opportunity and hope you aren't regretting it.

Edited by BigRedX

I acctualy need to get around to writing a review on this bass I always get side tracked. I'll do it while doing afew other reviews I'v promised.

I'm glad you liked the bass I adore it. Tbh letting others try it without my constant supervision was more down to trusting alan than anything else when you see a man smile quite so wide at seeing most of his creations in one place you can trust him to look after them all. I got alot of nice comments during the say about both my basses. I did say to my self earlier I wouldnt hang around too much think I might have got a little over protective.

Plus helping alan to show people how good his basses are is more than enough reason. He's a great guy to work with very helpful and always willing to talk to you through silly mind changes, think he got a little talked out on sunday.

Ortho funniest thing was quite happily when I strolled over picked up my recurve and walked away with it to try the DHA amp. Couple of people gave me some pretty stunned looks. Think they must have thought I was making a runner with it for a second.