Why become a member? ×

Deftones

thedontcarebear

[quote name='thumbo' post='583289' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:20 AM']I'm not sure, they blog a fair bit on their myspace so it might be worth having a glance there.

Chi's been in a coma for 10 months now :)[/quote]

Can't get to myspace from here, but will check there or facebook later.

I heard he was out of intensive care, but he is still in the coma then?

From Myspace:

[quote]What’s up!

We want to take a minute and address all of you regarding Chi and our new record:

First and foremost, we are all still praying and hoping for our brother’s and bandmate’s recovery. He continues to get hospital care, but often it feels as if we’re no closer to knowing what is ultimately going to happen to him as he continues to fight off infections as part of an ongoing battle with his condition. We trust all of you have been following his progress at One Love For Chi; we have as well. Whenever we have significant information regarding his condition, we will share it with all of you. In the meantime, we’re working on getting a benefit show together for Chi in Los Angeles this fall; details will follow very soon.

Let’s all continue to channel positive energy into the universe for Chi’s recovery.

There has been a lot of speculation lately about what is going on with the record: Eros for one, and Chi’s parts, and this new record that we are currently tracking.

The songs recorded for Eros are very special to us as they are the latest with Chi (and we certainly hope not the last); they have history and significant meaning to us. However, as we neared completion on Eros, we realized that this record doesn’t best encompass and represent who we are currently as people and as musicians. And although those songs will see the light of day at some point, we collectively made the decision that we needed to take a new approach, and with Chi’s condition heavy on our minds while doing so. We needed to return to the studio to do what we felt was right artistically. Our inspiration and unity as a band is stronger than it has ever been before and we needed to channel that energy into our music, and deliver to our fans what you rightly deserve: the best Deftones record that we can make.

The decision to hold off on releasing Eros has no connection with Chi’s condition or anything associated. This was, and is, purely a creative decision by the band to write, record, and deliver an amazing product. As a result we feel like this is the best record we’ve ever written. And although Chi is not playing bass with us, his presence is dramatically felt in our hearts and on our minds everyday when we step into that studio, and you will feel it in the music.

We have some dates coming up this summer as you know, and the best thing that we can do now is to try to return this situation to the closest thing to normalcy as possible. The stage is our home, and you are our family.

Please remember, only Deftones speak for Deftones, so we will continue to periodically release official statements.

More to come soon.[/quote]

[quote name='arabassist' post='583309' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:34 AM']No prob. hasn't Chino Moreno lost a bit of weight too? ^_^

[url="http://content.velvethammer.net/deftones/defkorea/image.jpg"]http://content.velvethammer.net/deftones/defkorea/image.jpg[/url][/quote]

haha! Yeah looks like he has. I saw them at wembley arena a few years ago and he looked like he'd been busy with pies.

[quote name='thumbo' post='583317' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:40 AM']haha! Yeah looks like he has. I saw them at wembley arena a few years ago and he looked like he'd been busy with pies.[/quote]

yeah i heard he had given up on heroine and had to take steroids after ripping his voice to shreds :)

speaking of Chi, i love his bassline on this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIy2l2stV38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIy2l2stV38[/url]

Edited by arabassist

Deftones are up there with Blur as my favourite band.

Really can't wait for Eros and really hope that Chi gets well soon! They are playing Leeds/Reading this year and I was really really tempted to go just for that. I know they are a hit and miss live act, but every time I have seen them they've been amazing :)

Hope Chi pulls out of it soon. Shared a couple of pints with him and Abe at the pub over the road from The Garage (where they were playing) a good few years back, lovely guys.

Although, it has to be said, Deftones are great on record, but Chino just can't pull it off live. Seen them several times, and Chino just can't sing in key.

I've seen them a few times but the most memorable was at the Brixton Academy when they'd just released their self titled album, I remember feeling blown away by the intensity of that gig. They can be such a full-on live act when they're in the right venue!

[quote name='Russ' post='583642' date='Aug 28 2009, 03:34 PM']Hope Chi pulls out of it soon. Shared a couple of pints with him and Abe at the pub over the road from The Garage (where they were playing) a good few years back, lovely guys.

Although, it has to be said, Deftones are great on record, but Chino just can't pull it off live. Seen them several times, and Chino just can't sing in key.[/quote]

doesn't matter if he's screaming :)
(notice how skinny and energetic he is here tho)

nice bass in the 2nd verse

Edited by arabassist