Why become a member? ×

clankiness

Geek99

i have a cij 62 ri jazz, which is mostly stock but has copper foil in the cavities. It has some pickup noise still

I can hear every single noise of fret on string, or handling noise - its really clanky, like the pickups are a microphone - does anyone have any ideas?

On the Fender pickups with the raised polepieces (above the covers) it can often be your fingers hitting the polepieces when you play. They've fixed this problem in the newest ones, as the polepieces are now recessed.

Otherwise, as Chris says, check that the action isn't too low and that you have just a little neck relief.

Could the pickups actually be microphonic?

I agree with the above gentlemen on the points of clank and fret noise, but not on handling noise. For me that does hint at a microphonic pickup. I had the same problem on a guitar many years ago and had the pickup repotted which solved the problem.

[quote name='paul h' post='582487' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:38 PM']Could the pickups actually be microphonic?

I agree with the above gentlemen on the points of clank and fret noise, but not on handling noise. For me that does hint at a microphonic pickup. I had the same problem on a guitar many years ago and had the pickup repotted which solved the problem.[/quote]

Good point :)

Yup. Loose windings are one cause I believe. Not 100% sure on the technicalities.

Try this test...

Plug the bass in, mute the strings and firmly tap on the body of the guitar in various places. If you can hear it through your amp then they are microphonic.

With regard to the first test, I can hear the reverbation though the amp (using headphones as the baby is asleep), they are also the raise polepiece design (its a 94 vintage)

How much does it cost to get them repotted? I know Fender do noiseless jazz pickups and I would prefer something that looked the part.