Why become a member? ×

Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron

Mecklenburg

Hi,

I'm looking for an evelope filter - basically I think i want to be Bootsy Collins! I can't find a Musitronics Mu-Tron III and if I did it would probably cost a fortune!!!

I've read that the guy who made the Mu-Tron III had a hand in the design on the Q-Tron.

Anyone played both of these, or either?

Anyone recomend this, or perhaps there's something better out there?

Cheers!

The Q-Tron was my very first filter. I went through a bunch after that (Dod FX25, Chunk 00Funk, Maxon AF9, MXR Bass Auto Q, Boss AW-2, Digitech BSW to name a few) and I now own a Musitronics Mutron. If you can get one for under £300, grab it - You won't regret it.

It's the fattest, greasiest, wettest filter but it's so musical too - Really hard to combine all those elements into a filter, but the Mutron passes with flying colours.

I had one of the old bent-steel Q-Trons, haven't tried the newer XO model. The old 24v one is a really good filter, although I could never get the down-sweep to sound very good.

I haven't tried a Mutron III but I doubt any filter can hold a candle to it for that authentic funk quack, simply because it's THE filter that was used on all those records.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='582367' date='Aug 27 2009, 12:47 PM']I had one of the old bent-steel Q-Trons, haven't tried the newer XO model. The old 24v one is a really good filter, although I could never get the down-sweep to sound very good.

I haven't tried a Mutron III but I doubt any filter can hold a candle to it for that authentic funk quack, simply because it's THE filter that was used on all those records.[/quote]

Yeah the only way to get THAT sound is to use that filter. Maybe when i've got money floating about I'll be able to afford one :)
We've got a Mutron III plugin on Cubase which I can use, but I'd prefer the real thing.

Think I'll just have to try a few out together, i'm not exactly sure what sound I want. I don't want to sound exactly like Bootsy, but something similar.

[quote name='YouMa' post='582507' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:48 PM']I have a qtron for sale at the moment its one of the original ones.[/quote]

Is it in the sales section, how much are you selling it for?

When were the original ones made, I've seen the micro one and another, which has quite a funky paint job - I guess thats the new one?

I've got an old Qtron. I like it, think it's pretty good especially considering price of them. Nice going into a fuzz, quite a variety of tones - not subtle , though not all them useable on bass IMO.

There is the well known issue with a bit of a spike in volume when engaged & (for me) the annoyance of not having an LED to indicate when effect is on.
Some people get round this with use of a limiter afterwards, however modded mine with a volume control to tame it a bit and an LED on the switch to let me know when it's engaged.

It's not a Mutron, but it's a good introduction to the world of envelope filters. If you get one for a good price, why not try it. If it's not for you, flog it on...they do seem to be popular.