Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever taken a Warwick apart?

xilddx

I need to do this for a refinish. Are there any tricky areas? I only need to take everything off the body, but the control cavity surround looks tricky to remove. Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by silddx

I've taken a SSII apart before, just to out of curiosity after I first bought it really!

It was quite an interesting experience - Warwick clearly are one of the best manufacturers of bass guitars in the world, every cut and join was absolutely seamless and the hardware was a snug fit all over. Never got as far as taking the control cavity surround off though - I can imagine that would be considerably more tricky than removing the bridge, tuners etc.

I would advise taking measurements (ie bridge height, saddle height, pickup height, distance from strings, 12th fret height etc) before you remove the parts, especially if you're currently happy with how the bass plays. That way, you can put it back together again quickly and make sure the action is exactly the same as before.

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='580518' date='Aug 25 2009, 06:28 PM']Never got as far as taking the control cavity surround off though - I can imagine that would be considerably more tricky than removing the bridge, tuners etc.[/quote]

Huh? :)

Si

Can confirm it is simply screwed in, I checked when i got home this evening, never noticed those screws before! Thanks YouMa

I'm going to sand it to lighten up the butt ugly honey violin stain a bit and then spray white over it but let the grain show through, Mary Kaye style but without the halo.

More like this ..

Edited by silddx

[quote name='acidbass' post='580518' date='Aug 25 2009, 06:28 PM']I've taken a SSII apart before, just to out of curiosity after I first bought it really!

It was quite an interesting experience - Warwick clearly are one of the best manufacturers of bass guitars in the world, every cut and join was absolutely seamless and the hardware was a snug fit all over. Never got as far as taking the control cavity surround off though - I can imagine that would be considerably more tricky than removing the bridge, tuners etc.

I would advise taking measurements (ie bridge height, saddle height, pickup height, distance from strings, 12th fret height etc) before you remove the parts, especially if you're currently happy with how the bass plays. That way, you can put it back together again quickly and make sure the action is exactly the same as before.

Danny[/quote]
They are beautifully put together and have so many little ergonomic and convenient features built in. I'm a total convert after hating the idea of them until last year. My Wicks are my best friends.

I'm sure you've popped over to the Warwick forum as there are one or two posts about 'wick owners sanding oiled finishes. I'd guess the only thing to be wary of is the stain soaking in more in some places rather than others. I considered it with a SS1 in nirvana black (the stain looked like it was non-standard, almost dark burgundy) but sold it in the end as dark oiled finishes are really hard to completely remove. There was one thread about a guy who sanded off the honey violin finish on his streamer and it looked good in the end (but took him ages).

[quote name='XB26354' post='580638' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:07 PM']I'm sure you've popped over to the Warwick forum as there are one or two posts about 'wick owners sanding oiled finishes. I'd guess the only thing to be wary of is the stain soaking in more in some places rather than others. I considered it with a SS1 in nirvana black (the stain looked like it was non-standard, almost dark burgundy) but sold it in the end as dark oiled finishes are really hard to completely remove. There was one thread about a guy who sanded off the honey violin finish on his streamer and it looked good in the end (but took him ages).[/quote]

Thank you I did! But my searches proved fruitless. Would you mind telling me what your search terms were please?

Also, I'm only planning to sand it back a little, the grain enhancement of the stain is actually not unlike how "they" do the Mary Kaye finish anyway.

[quote name='RichB' post='580625' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:51 PM']I tend not to take anything apart so afraid am not much help with that. Just wanted to add that the finish you want looks great. I really like translucent paint effects.[/quote]
Thanks mate :)

I really can't handle wood finishes at all. I particularly dislike spalted and really heavily figured woods on a bass. Love them for my furniture though!

[quote name='silddx' post='580647' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:22 PM']Thank you I did! But my searches proved fruitless. Would you mind telling me what your search terms were please?

Also, I'm only planning to sand it back a little, the grain enhancement of the stain is actually not unlike how "they" do the Mary Kaye finish anyway.[/quote]

Here's the thread I mentioned: [url="http://forum.warwick.de/18-warwick-custom-shop/8468-taking-high-polish-finish-off.html"]http://forum.warwick.de/18-warwick-custom-...finish-off.html[/url]

Don't be fooled by the title - the bass is oiled honey violin.

I just typed "remove oil finish".