Why become a member? ×

Rent

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='579708' date='Aug 24 2009, 11:41 PM']Allo Fliends!

Just got back following a full days' technical rehearsal for a production of `Rent' - fantastic score, some very meaty and somewhat challenging basslines - anyone else played it? Santa Fe has to be the track du jour!

Nick[/quote]

is the score available?

Sounds excellent Nick! I love doing theatre work, it's a great feeling towards the end of the week when you start to anticipate your favourite sections in advance, and memorise them instead of just reading.

Let us know how the live shows go!

Danny

Thanks guys!

I've memorised a couple of the harder tunes purely down to the fact that they are buggers to page turn - no rests!!!! Its sounding really great - (not one to blow me own trumpet!) but its locking together really well! We're up above the stage on a platform so we can be seen (beats being in the pit) and see the show.

[quote name='endorka' post='579895' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:54 AM']I'm going to be playing it in a few weeks, the MD is sending the bass part to me in advance, sounds like it is just as well!

Jennifer[/quote]

The actual music is not too hard to play (Santa Fe is an exercise in left hand stamina, especially with the arpeggiated 9th chords), its just that it is somewhat relentless and there are places where you have to be a bit nifty with the page turns (in fact Santa Fe is now memorised)!! Lots of rest bars so concentration is required with the counting and if you get the same parts I've had, there's not much in terms of dynamic marking - for example, the piano starts quite a few pieces and you get little or no `feel' for the `one' - what I'd describe as floating or free time!

• 3 weeks later...

That's me done the last night of the show tonight - as mentioned above, it was great stuff to play, the band were cooking, and I really like the way the bass is featured a lot more than you usually get in shows. Probably my favourites would be the high widdly fretless stuff such as Halloween and the gospelly tunes like "Seasons of Love". The real rock out tunes are great as well, but having the closing number finish in F# major is just sadistic! :-)

Santa Fe did give me a few problems, some real awkward shifts in it if you are reading it, so as stated it is best to remember that one and the other couple of numbers with similar parts. I imagine it would be easier on a 5-string.

It's not often you get an excuse to have a total rock out, do slap bass & noodly stuff, with the bonus that it actually sounds good :-)

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='596998' date='Sep 13 2009, 01:10 AM']That's me done the last night of the show tonight - as mentioned above, it was great stuff to play, the band were cooking, and I really like the way the bass is featured a lot more than you usually get in shows. Probably my favourites would be the high widdly fretless stuff such as Halloween and the gospelly tunes like "Seasons of Love". The real rock out tunes are great as well, but having the closing number finish in F# major is just sadistic! :-)

Santa Fe did give me a few problems, some real awkward shifts in it if you are reading it, so as stated it is best to remember that one and the other couple of numbers with similar parts. I imagine it would be easier on a 5-string.

It's not often you get an excuse to have a total rock out, do slap bass & noodly stuff, with the bonus that it actually sounds good :-)

Jennifer[/quote]

Hi Jennifer!

Glad to hear you had a good time - Santa Fe went really well for me in the end; memorising it did the trick - couple of mates actually came to see the show and they said that the bass made the tune - I said that I wish I'd written it!!! Hehe!

Cheers!

Nick