Why become a member? ×

I tried some Ibanezes...why didnt i like their sounds?

arabassist

Hey,

I think I posted a similiar topic a while ago, back when my only bass was an ibanez artcore, i tried a cheap 5 string ibanez and thought really positively of it.

Now I have a squier. Recently, I went to a bass shop to try some 5 strings, tried out two ibanezes, forgot the models, but one was a new make. To be perfectly honest, i didnt really like the sound that came out. they were both very powerful, like the instruments were mocking me, screaming "UGH COME ON AND SLAP ME B****!" but i didnt like the tone. the strings gave a much better slap tone than mine...but then again i seem to be drifting away from caring about slap these days. i just missed my squier...i wished i was cradling a beautiful fender jazz, getting a rich tone from plucking above the bridge pickup, pretending to be a Middle Eastern hybrid of Jaco P and Timmy C. My mate with me was like "WOW that's lovely" but then again she's impressed by anything bassy (why cant all girls be like that? :) )

So what was it that didnt make me like those Ibanezes sound? The point im asking this is because i dont want to look for new basses with the same features.
Was it the active pickups (ive only owned passive)? The quality of the amp (i believe i was connected to a markbass amp...a big one)? Have i become a fender junkie or something?

Oh and i guess i also realised that 5 strings aren't for me...having an odd number of strings messed up my orientation.

Your thoughts please,
Ahmed

Could be all sorts of reasons. Maybe you just don't like the sounds they make; no real reason. I've played lots of basses, including really exotic ones, that I haven't liked the sound of, [i]in my hands[/i]. That's crucial. Some other guy might make them sound fab, but maybe they just don't work for you. Of course the amp/speaker/eq can make a huge difference; for instance if you normally didn't pay through a cab with a horn in it and then you tried something through a cab that did have a horn in it, it might come as something of a surprise. And yes, if they have actives in them and you're used to passive that may make a difference. Sometimes it's familiarity though; you get used to hearing something and when you hear something different you don't like it because it's not what you're used to hearing. This can work the other way too though.

I don't know why you should [i]expect [/i]to like any given bass to be honest.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='arabassist' post='578017' date='Aug 23 2009, 05:19 AM']Was it the active pickups (ive only owned passive)?[/quote]

the pickups are passive, theres an active circuit in the bass.

theres lots of reasons why you might not like the sound of an ibanez, especially if you like the sounf of a fender. they're complete opposites, the fender is passive, has an alder body (i assume), a big body, jazz pickups, and is basically made to sound like a jazz should sound, bearing in mind the jazz was invented in the 60's (i think, my fender history isn't brilliant. could've been late 50's.) whereas the ibanez (depending on model, i'm going by a basic SR or BTB style ibanez) is active, has soapbar pickups (some made by bartolini, who don't exactly made vintage sounding pickups), mahogany body, and it sounds really modern.

my all time favourite stock bass that i've played is an ibanez SR500, i would never, ever sell mine. yet i'm not a fan of jazz basses. we all have different tastes.

Could be the Barts (if that's what was fitted) My BTB 550 has Barts in it and they're awful. I think the problem there is that they're not even the proper US Bartollinis but ones made in Korea I think. If it was at the lower end of the price scale there's a good chance that it had those in it.

[quote name='Tinman' post='578233' date='Aug 23 2009, 02:57 PM']Could be the Barts (if that's what was fitted) My BTB 550 has Barts in it and they're awful. I think the problem there is that they're not even the proper US Bartollinis but ones made in Korea I think. If it was at the lower end of the price scale there's a good chance that it had those in it.[/quote]

This is true. The non-Prestige models don't come with proper Bartolinis, but with Bartolini-branded pickups that are made in Korea along with the actual instruments. You'll notice that the pickups are called Bartolini 'MK1' - apparently the 'MK' means 'made in Korea'. Or so I've heard.

The Prestige range of SR and BTB basses do come with US-Made Bartolinis and for me, there is a considerable difference in the sound.

I'm not a huge fan of Ibanez basses either. But it's mainly because I think the necks are too thin. There are just some basses out there that you won't like and if you like your Squier Jazz then there's no need to get another bass. :)

Getting used to 5 strings will take a bit of time, but if you're convinced you need the range and flexibility you'll adapt to it.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='578358' date='Aug 23 2009, 06:47 PM']This is true. The non-Prestige models don't come with proper Bartolinis, but with Bartolini-branded pickups that are made in Korea along with the actual instruments. You'll notice that the pickups are called Bartolini 'MK1' - apparently the 'MK' means 'made in Korea'. Or so I've heard.

The Prestige range of SR and BTB basses do come with US-Made Bartolinis and for me, there is a considerable difference in the sound.[/quote]

It's true, they're made by Cort and were originally fitted on the Cort Artisan A- and B-series and the Josh Paul signature model (that Elrick-copy). They're made in the same facility where Cort also makes the EMG Select pickups that are fitted to those Spirit by Steinberger instruments. Later on Ibanez started using them too, when production of the high end Prestige series moved to Korea. Ibanez catalogs from that year will tell you those Bartolini's were especially developped for the Prestige Soundgear and BTB series models, but don't let that fool you. Cort had 'em first :).

I am a fan of Ibanez, but mostly of their older MIJ models. I have three ATK's (two ATK300's and an ATK305, all MIJ), an '81 Musician (MC924) and an '81 Blazer (BL800) and I love them! I also used to have an '87 SR800LE but absolutely hated the sound and the electronics (very scooped and dry), and I used to have two of their RG guitars of which I loved one and couldn't stand the other. It's hit or miss I guess. I do think Ibanez is truly a brand for everyone, they have an incredibly wide range of completely different instruments. For nearly any tone you have in your head there's an Ibanez on the market that will deliver.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='579013' date='Aug 24 2009, 01:08 PM']I recently saw a bloke who was supporting my band playing an ibanez bass through a huge ashdown. Whether it was the bass or the amp I dunno but the tone was colossial. Just absolutely huge sound, very detailed. As a Jazz bass man that really changed my view of their basses.[/quote]

I did a gig down in London recently and used the house ashdown stack with my Ibanez GWB35. I was absolutely amazed at the sound I got on stage, as until then I had only ever played through 1*10"s combos. Although the electronics aren't ibanez.

I need to get me a stack.

[quote name='arabassist' post='579106' date='Aug 24 2009, 02:36 PM']hmm i guess so, i used to be obsessed with the ibanez sound before i got my jazz...now im just lovin the jaco-esque bridge picking sound

Do any G&L's mimic the jazz sound? i've only played the tribute L2000 (i think it was that one)[/quote]

i expect [url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/JB/index.asp"]this[/url] would be pretty accurate

Just like the OP, I 've come round to the same conclusion, and that's after GASsing for an Ibanez for months. I tried the SR 300 and the new 360. Yea, OK, very easy to handle. Then I tried a Squier VMJazz and the VMJ Fretless. I didn't even notice it was fretless until I'd been through some test runs. OOohh.

This morning, in a different shop, I tried a Fender Standard Jazz MIM. Still nice and plummy.

The Ibazes dissappointed me. They sounded bassy in an old fashioned English sort of way, whereas the jazz has that definite first-sound of low bass. The Ibanez's have a totally different sound shape to the Jazz. Now that LeftyJ has said Cort are involved in making the low end Ibanez's I'm put off even more.

Oh dear, a few months ago I said in another post that I was bored/didn't like the shape of Fenders etc. Look like I'll have to buy a Squier VMJ, maybe the fretless and learn to play it with my eyes closed.

Does nobody else make a (new) real Jazz sound for under £300?

Balcro.