Why become a member? ×

Slap Monster ....."Wojtek Pilichowski"

dunetune_jazz

For those of you who do not know Wojtek Pilichowski......

The man is a Monster Slapper .... and a well hidden secret in the bass world .... when ever I get the chance I always go see him .......and his is not america, english or canadian .... he indian ... haha lol jus kiddin ...
You have to admire the man and the hours of work and practise he puts in .... keep the funk going Wojtek.

For those of you wanting to learn to slap take a look ......

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9lzWf4x3o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9lzWf4x3o[/url]" class="ipsImage" />

• Like 1

Saw him at Bass Day 1 in Manchester. He came on towards the end of a looooong day of bass, when most of us, to be honest, had heard enough, and blew us all away, he was brilliant.

I have to add though, that by the end of his set, 20/30 mins or so, I really had heard enough slap to last me a lifetime.

I know he is a solder mate for us slappers out there ..... you get the usual comments like.... oh its the polish "Mark King" etc etc ... but he does put in the effort...
Usually the finger puckers get all the galm .... with their shiney basses and all.... :))
Never get tired of the slap sound.... ....never ...

[quote name='Rayman' post='577697' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:38 PM']Saw him at Bass Day 1 in Manchester. He came on towards the end of a looooong day of bass, when most of us, to be honest, had heard enough, and blew us all away, he was brilliant.

I have to add though, that by the end of his set, 20/30 mins or so, I really had heard enough slap to last me a lifetime.[/quote]

Edited by dunetune_jazz

The piece of music's a monstrosity but the groove is cool and the playing is cool. I liked it for nearly a minute! Be nice if their technique stretched to some interesting compositions instead of the usual fast food fusion quickly put together to show of the chops.

The Music .... is like any other tune out there to be fair what is kool these days in the slap world ...?????
How many times can you get Victor to thump out a tune or Stan da man ... to do taps on the bass??
But Wojtek is a true trooper .... and he is still trying to keep the funk and slap around and going or we would all be jamerjacoisks.... [yes a new word] :)

[quote name='silddx' post='577703' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:51 PM']The piece of music's a monstrosity but the groove is cool and the playing is cool. I liked it for nearly a minute! Be nice if their technique stretched to some interesting compositions instead of the usual fast food fusion quickly put together to show of the chops.[/quote]

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='577709' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:57 PM']The Music .... is like any other tune out there to be fair what is kool these days in the slap world ...?????
How many times can you get Victor to thump out a tune or Stan da man ... to do taps on the bass??
But Wojtek is a true trooper .... and he is still trying to keep the funk and slap around and going or we would all be jamerjacoisks.... [yes a new word] :rolleyes:[/quote]
I'll sort of give you that :) But I like MUSIC, not instrument athletics. It's always too tempting to write some sh*t quickly just so you can spoo all over it. Look at the instrumental shred guitar that's always been about. Stick down a jazz/blues groove in 7/8 with a few stock clever bits in, jizz all over it and call it a ubernaff name like "Sevens".

I don't agree everyone otherwise is a jamerjacoisk, good word though that is. There's so much more to bass that copying the the old time heroes, thank god.

Funny enough ... I did that with most of the motown stuff and 80 disco ... I loaded them in to the 300 track cd changer .... poured myself an nice glass of Chateau Latour 45 .... and stuck my Louisville slugger next to me on the couch .... 2 seconds later bammmmmm the Latour was all over the walls and the cds are no longer.... :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='577711' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:02 PM']Lighted dimmed, check, nice glass of something, check, Wojteck CD, check, now press play.
Clock on CD player now reads 0:0:30 seconds, CD is ejected and smashed.

Just kidding.[/quote]

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='577721' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:11 PM']Funny enough ... I did that with most of the motown stuff and 80 disco ... I loaded them in to the 300 track cd changer .... poured myself an nice glass of Chateau Latour 45 .... and stuck my Louisville slugger next to me on the couch .... 2 seconds later bammmmmm the Latour was all over the walls and the cds are no longer.... :)[/quote]

How DARE you treat such noble heroes with such disrespect! Do you realise how much inspiration they provide to so many, those guys at Chateau Latour??

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='577721' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:11 PM']Funny enough ... I did that with most of the motown stuff and 80 disco ... I loaded them in to the 300 track cd changer .... poured myself an nice glass of Chateau Latour 45 .... and stuck my Louisville slugger next to me on the couch .... 2 seconds later bammmmmm the Latour was all over the walls and the cds are no longer.... :)[/quote] :rolleyes:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='577711' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:02 PM']Lighted dimmed, check, nice glass of something, check, Wojteck CD, check, now press play.
Clock on CD player now reads 0:0:30 seconds, CD is ejected and smashed.

Just kidding.[/quote]

:)

Tonight though (in my case), wife away, bottle of cheap Rioja, Ramones anthology goes in, big smile on my face. I never did see Dee Dee slap that Precision bless him.

[quote name='Rayman' post='577768' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:51 PM']:)

Tonight though (in my case), wife away, bottle of cheap Rioja, Ramones anthology goes in, big smile on my face. I never did see Dee Dee slap that Precision bless him.[/quote]Ramones anthology, brilliant but you'll need at least 3 bottles to get through all three discs.

Second bottle, merlot, cheaper than the first one, but I'm past caring. Oldest daughter still up so I'm trying to behave (she's only 8 and trying to watch the X Factor in peace), however, the Kinal might come out later for a groovy funkadelic session, I'll try not to prang it on the dining table.

I like this guys playing, and I really like his nice mid-rangey tone here. Most of the slap stuff I've seen him do leaves me rather cold tbh, but he is a heck of a fingerstyle player too, and it's that element of his playing that I like the most.

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='577693' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:32 PM']For those of you who do not know Wojtek Pilichowski......

The man is a Monster Slapper .... and a well hidden secret in the bass world .... when ever I get the chance I always go see him .......and his is not america, english or canadian .... he indian ... haha lol jus kiddin ...
You have to admire the man and the hours of work and practise he puts in .... keep the funk going Wojtek.

For those of you wanting to learn to slap take a look ......

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9lzWf4x3o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9lzWf4x3o[/url]" class="ipsImage" />[/quote]

If you want to talk Polish bassists do it properly :rolleyes:
That video is from 1992 if I rightly remember so it's not the best of his skill.

Here's one for you who think he's only slapp happy :

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlWejoMh2Ks"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlWejoMh2Ks[/url]

Here's one of him that mixes both slap and fnormal finger style which is quite good.

And here's something a bit more funky :

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayTqf_Ws7Nw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayTqf_Ws7Nw[/url]

I like the above quite a bit, they have some nice funky groove going on there, shame they don't play anymore :)

And here's a bit as well, watch from 8:52

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkBkXRmXcBE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkBkXRmXcBE[/url]

Enjoy

Cheers
Jack

[quote name='silddx' post='578625' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:34 PM']Primark King[/quote]

+1 ... BUT

He was the first player in Poland that used 6 string, first to use a bass with a graphite neck and he was the sole reason why Mayones started doing basses, I'm not sayig he's great but he inspired a lot of people especially in the country where the most basic 4-string Ibanez would cost you about £1100 if you would compare the wages to UK so I think he needs a little bit of credit IMHO of course, but as you say the slappity tappity kills everything else.

Cheers
Jack

[quote name='silddx' post='578625' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:34 PM']Primark King[/quote]

+1 ... BUT

He was the first player in Poland that used 6 string, first to use a bass with a graphite neck and he was the sole reason why Mayones started doing basses, I'm not sayig he's great but he inspired a lot of people especially in the country where the most basic 4-string Ibanez would cost you about £1100 if you would compare the wages to UK so I think he needs a little bit of credit IMHO of course, but as you say the slappity tappity kills everything else.

Cheers
Jack

Primark King ha ha.

The stand out track for me on Woj' album was always this -

...funnily enough not one of his tracks - and he didn't play it...

The dude I'm waiting for big things from is Dwayne Thomas Jr (check him out on the Gospel Chops DVD)

May be .... seen Dwayne.... and a complete knock off of Mr. Wooten although a very younger version .... not many original bassists out there these days that you can say wow thats new .....

May be you want to check out ....Keith Horne that guys is a monster ... you would not want to come across him down a dark alley....the man can play.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='578787' date='Aug 24 2009, 09:19 AM']Primark King ha ha.

The stand out track for me on Woj' album was always this -

...funnily enough not one of his tracks - and he didn't play it...

The dude I'm waiting for big things from is Dwayne Thomas Jr (check him out on the Gospel Chops DVD)

[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='578787' date='Aug 24 2009, 09:19 AM']The dude I'm waiting for big things from is Dwayne Thomas Jr (check him out on the Gospel Chops DVD)
[/quote]
That mutha is in the ZONE! So cool he upside down too. That's the most inspiring piece of bass playing I've seen for ages! That was without a doubt a true reflection of the person playing it, at a very high level of technical and aural facility. The guy f***in GROOVES!!

You've got me all excited now :)

EDIT:I generally hate slap too. This fella makes it sound like it should.

Edited by silddx

• 11 years later...