Why become a member? ×

Mark King on Dutch TV

steve-soar

[quote name='JHBASS' post='577414' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:30 AM']Sorry for my ignorance, but what is it that Mark has round his slapping thumb, I've looked everywhere for and answer, but I just can't find it!

Cheers

Josh[/quote]
It's just a strip of normal gaffa tape, he wraps it around his thumb for when he plays.
Most of the time the strip of tape is hanging on his mic stand ready for when he comes on stage.
Can't remember why he uses it - he thwacks the strings so hard and it's either to stop him mangling his thumb or the strings.
He usually throws it into the crowd after each gig..

[quote name='bluesparky' post='577423' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:38 AM']It's just a strip of normal gaffa tape, he wraps it around his thumb for when he plays.
Most of the time the strip of tape is hanging on his mic stand ready for when he comes on stage.
Can't remember why he uses it - he thwacks the strings so hard and it's either to stop him mangling his thumb or the strings.
He usually throws it into the crowd after each gig..[/quote]

Without it (the tape), his thumb would burst (literally) - he plays very hard! A monster! I had his old red JayDee bass and the wooden p/up covers were grooved like furrows! Watch how he hits the strings when he plays fingerstyle! (good example is Children Say on the Live at Wembley dvd - featuring my old bass!)

[quote name='bluesparky' post='577423' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:38 AM']It's just a strip of normal gaffa tape, he wraps it around his thumb for when he plays.
He usually throws it into the crowd after each gig..[/quote]

Mark said at a bass clinic once that he played so hard at a gig in Holland around 1980 that he literally split the side of his thumb. That's when he began using the tape. He said that because they had so many shows to do, the tape saved his thumb from damage. He also said that the sound he got with the tape was not as good. Which may explain why he plays real aggressively. He doesn't play the way he used to as he plays a more 'reserved' style these days. Back in the day, he literally wore the wooden pickup covers on his Jaydees down to the magnets!

[quote name='BB3000S' post='577052' date='Aug 21 2009, 07:47 PM']Cool to see Mark with a Fender - though it makes me want a proper Status even more.
He had a really short Fender period didn't he?[/quote]

Indeed, although IIRC they were a limited run of 42 and apparently suffered from some quality control issues!

However, much like the GB basses he uses on the Ohne Filter dvd, the main problem with them in my mind is that they just don't sound that great! Especially not next to everything else Mark has played over the years!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='585468' date='Aug 30 2009, 10:58 PM']Indeed, although IIRC they were a limited run of 42 and apparently suffered from some quality control issues!

However, much like the GB basses he uses on the Ohne Filter dvd, the main problem with them in my mind is that they just don't sound that great! Especially not next to everything else Mark has played over the years![/quote]

Those limited editions were sadly a pile of poo! They were all different shades of blue, they smelt of play doh, the LED on/off push/pull pot was wobbly, some had the wrong colour scratchplate, the frets were not seated very well etc etc. I had #38 until I got rid of it and got to play a few of them around the country, including #42! The LEDs were great and it did sound ok I suppose, its just that it was retailing for nearly £2K....! I saw Mark using the GBs in concert and thought they sounded pretty good imho!

Nick