Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001CS

Stacker

CS bass (with certificate in the 400s) and silver RIC case. All VGC. No issues apart from a small reaction in the finish near the rear strap button and slight lifting of the lacquer on three of the higher frets; no lacquer missing. Monster sound. Pix available soon and on personal request.

Edited by Stacker

Ladies & gentlemen, it is not without considerable reluctance that I offer, for your consideration, this 1993 Rickenbacker 4001CS outfit, complete with original case, certificate and case candy which includes: the German distributor's hanging tag; the original RIC North American warranty document (still 100% intact); the RIC owner's maintenance manual; RIC polishing cloth. Additional candy includes a large poster of [i]Schindleria praematurus[/i] himself along with a review of the instrument and an interview with CS, taken from two contemporary trade magazines. £1119.50 at 1991 prices, eh?

Points to note:-
[list]
[*]raising of lacquer in upper regions of neck; no actual absence
[*]reaction in pickguard around front pup mounts (common on the CS)
[*]red leach mark near rear strap-pin; this was a reaction to foam on gtr stand
[/list]

No other issues.

Interesting to note that I only found out about the propensity for finish reaction to certain guitar stands within the RIC conversion varnish months after I'd noticed it. RIC doesn't advertise this (not to my knowledge) and only when commenting on it on the official RIC forum did I discover that they've known about it all along. Strange that they offer no warning at point of sale. I have had three Ricks' finish flawed by this reaction. Anyway, moan over.

The instrument has never been gigged by me and it is my belief I am the second owner, given that I bought it from Germany where it was imported (see dealer's card). This bass has been in my posession for about 5 years and has been kept in its case ever since the reaction with the guitar stand. I would mark this bass 9.5 out of a score of 10. Please also note that this is one of the models with the slimmer neck and smaller 'cresting wave' on the headstock. There are quite a few that were made with fatter necks and headstocks when RIC, bizarrely and in the middle of a prodcution run, changed the template of the V63, which is the bass the CS takes it's footprint from

This instrument is offered for sale within the British Isles, ROI and Europe; I will not ship anywhere else. Furthermore, I also request that, should the instrument sell, the buyer [i]must[/i] arrange his own courier and insurance; this is not open to dialogue. Sorry if that appears a bit of a bind but those are my terms. Collection in person is also welcome; home try-outs are not. No trades.

Ok, here are a couple of pix for starters:-

Edited by Stacker

My 4001CS has tiny black dots appear all under the finish along the bottom edge of the body - I'm assuming this is a foam reaction but they are spread out and are not where the foam was touching - how bizarre eh! Must be squireflu!

Lovely bass btw!

Nick (if I buy it, I will have two! mwahaha!) - you can just see mine in the far right of my avatar!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='576616' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:40 PM']Nick (if I buy it, I will have two! mwahaha!) - you can just see mine in the far right of my avatar![/quote]

It's the bass that stands out the most, even at that resolution!

[quote name='KevB' post='576753' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:06 PM']I'm a bit disappointed at the finish discolouration and the fingerboard varnish issue but still a desirable object![/quote]

I'm disappointed as well, but please remember I've had the bass for 5 years and it came to me with the lacquer issue and it hasn't gotten any worse in that time span. The leaching issue was borne out of ignorance of how the CV would react with guitar stands and there are a lot of RIC owners out there who've got guitars blemished in this manner. Apparently, RIC are moving away from the CV finish.

[quote name='dazco' post='576999' date='Aug 21 2009, 06:51 PM']What is the difference between this and a normal Rik.[/quote]
It's modelled on Chris Squires unique old 4001s. It's incredibly sought after & highly collectable, and they tend to change hands for daft money.

[quote name='RhysP' post='577095' date='Aug 21 2009, 08:33 PM']It's modelled on Chris Squires unique old 4001s. It's incredibly sought after & highly collectable, and they tend to change hands for daft money.[/quote]
I researched that much, but just wondered what the differences were.

[quote name='RhysP' post='577123' date='Aug 21 2009, 09:04 PM']It's made from compressed weasels & there's a live frog under the scratchplate.
Apart from that it's a stock 4001s.[/quote]
Not interested then. Not the kind of responsibility I can commit to.