Why become a member? ×

Compact or Genz Neox 212

Mizzle

Hi people, has anyone here had any experience with both of these cabs as I am trying to decide which of these would be the best match with my Shuttle 6 and I have searched but not to many people have tried the shuttle and compact so far (unless I missed the reviews sorry if I did). :)

My big rig is an SVT + NV610 (still yet to really crank it) just want a smaller rig that I can use for practices (if I have the room) and for smaller gigs where the SVt is not practical (probably rules out most gigs then :rolleyes: but still love it).

Sound wise I would probably be looking for a good low mid sounding cab, tight bass and the ability to get a little grind when needed. For my main basses incase you want to know I have a Warwick Thumb BO, Musicman Stingray and a P bass with flats and I play in a bluesish rock band.

Thanks in advance.

I own a Shuttle 6.0 and Compact rig, and I love it! I went through a few different cabs with the Shuttle (including Bergantino and Aguilar) before settling on the Compact- one of which was the Genz-Benz NEOX-212 as it happens...

I did like the Genz-Benz a lot I must say. It's a great-sounding cab, and matches up well with the Shuttle. It's 4ohms, so you can use the full output of the head with it, and it shifts some serious air! Great value too if you buy 2nd-hand (expect to pay around £400 for one in VGC). I definitely would have kept it, had it not been for the fact that I live in a 2nd floor flat with a fairly narrow staircase- I found its size awkward to handle in this instance, particularly with the handles placed on the top outer edges (had to bear-hug it instead!) although the weight was OK.

I got myself a Compact instead and I am very happy with it. It doesn't have a tweeter like the NEOX, but IMO you wouldn't need it for the sound that you're going for (I always turned the tweeter off in the Genz). The driver in the Compact has plenty of top end for upper-mid grindy pickstyle rock- I play a lot of different styles using a passive Jazz and P-Bass, and need a cab that can handle a fat reggae-tone through to a Tool-esque modern rock sound- I find that the Compact is covering both ends of this tone spectrum (and all points inbetween) very well so far. I have played many gigs with this set-up now, and despite the fact that it's 'only' an 8ohm cab, it's rare that I've thought that I could do with more volume. Believe me, it can go [u]stupidly[/u] loud with the Shuttle! The icing on the cake is that it's so easy to transport. With the Genz, I'd need to make two trips up the stairs after a gig with my gear- one just to carry the cab. With the Compact, I can carry ALL my gear up the stairs/into a venue in one trip (Bass in gigbag over one shoulder, Shuttle/leads/pedals in padded bag over the other, Compact in one hand, GRAMMA Pad and bass stand in the other!).

I do like both of these cabs a lot, but as you already have a (sweet) big rig, I reckon the Compact would make sense with the Shuttle for a small but very potent alternative setup- use a Tech 21 VT Bass or BDDI in front of the preamp (like I do) and you might never take the Ampeg/Berg rig out again! :)

Hope this helps mate!

[quote name='Mizzle' post='570786' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:40 PM']Thank you all for the replies so far, just had a look at the Big One as suggested and that's got me thinking now (GAS attack) just wondering if the Shuttle would power it well enough?[/quote]

It'll be fine if you're not playing crazy loud. However I would not consider the Big One the kind of cab to buy as an additional cab for practices and small gigs - it's more of a 6x10"/2x15" replacement!

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I went with the compact for those considering the idea between the 2 cabs.

I have tried this cab now on it's own and with a drummer and it can hold its own and keep your tone. I'm still trying to find the best settings on my Shuttle but will have to wait until we get the whole band going.

I have to admit I was very surprised at how much of a flat response this cab has when set flat on the head it was very clear and very true to the basses I played (Squier P bass with Wizard thumpers/flats/and a bad ass bridge, a Warwick Thumb bolt-on, and a OLP 5 string). As the clean is not as much my thing I decided to dirty things up a bit and rolled in a bit more gain on the Shuttle, what a sound dirty yet still enough thump (to be honest I actually prefer the sound of my P into this setup than the SVT :) ). Just waiting on the next band practice with the guitard and singer and I will report how well the Shuttle can keep up (we normally have 2 guitards but my brother being the 2nd will have to go on drums as our drummer can not make the next gig).

Thanks all for helping me in the decision.

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Mizzle' post='581684' date='Aug 26 2009, 06:12 PM'](to be honest I actually prefer the sound of my P into this setup than the SVT :) )[/quote]

Now that's what I like to hear! :rolleyes:

Having used my Shuttle in anger last night I'm very impressed at how the organic nature of this amp works with the clean low distortion sound of my cabs, a great way to get maximum output and minimum weight without compromising tone.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='583165' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:40 AM']4/2 ohm taps and an 8 ohm cab so I doubt it's even been tried!

Alex[/quote]

Sorry - misread the above. I thought that he prefered the Shuttle through it to the SVT through it - but the text doesn't necessarily infer that!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='583166' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:44 AM']Sorry - misread the above. I thought that he prefered the Shuttle through it to the SVT through it - but the text doesn't necessarily infer that![/quote]

Nope, P into Shuttle/Compact vs SVT/NV610 - flyweight knocks out super-heavyweight! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='583170' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:53 AM']Nope, P into Shuttle/Compact vs SVT/NV610 - flyweight knocks out super-heavyweight! :)

Alex[/quote]

I get that now - I just wondering if the SVT has been put throught the Barefaced...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='583172' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:55 AM']I just wondering if the SVT has been put throught the Barefaced...[/quote]

It's quite a big impedance mismatch when you bear in mind the low Qts drivers I used and thus the very high impedance peaks at resonance - can't see it working that well. Shame it hasn't got an 8 or 16 ohm tap.

Alex