Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds on an Affinity p-bass

lanark

Okay - my cheap Affinity P-bass has a very (overly) bright, twangy, almost tinny sound.

Before I fork out the money on them, can anone tell me how much effect putting flatwounds on would have on the tone? I don't want to spend £25 on a new set and find that the tone is dictated by pick-ups and the guitar itself.

I play in a salsa band so I really want a warm, neutral, double-bass type sound, not a funky, bright, slap bass sound.

Are flatwounds the way to go? Will they make a drastic difference?

hi there cant'comment on the squire P-Bass, but use flats on all my basses including warwick, status and jazz bass, and ive always found they give a much nicer warmer tone, and they dont 'twang' like rounds do at all. hope this helps

[quote name='lanark' post='569971' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:07 PM']Okay - my cheap Affinity P-bass has a very (overly) bright, twangy, almost tinny sound.

Before I fork out the money on them, can anone tell me how much effect putting flatwounds on would have on the tone? I don't want to spend £25 on a new set and find that the tone is dictated by pick-ups and the guitar itself.

I play in a salsa band so I really want a warm, neutral, double-bass type sound, not a funky, bright, slap bass sound.

Are flatwounds the way to go? Will they make a drastic difference?[/quote]

The other option would be Rotosound Trubass black nylon strings. Your bass / pickup will obviously be a factor in the tone but you'll certainly notice a real change with flats or Trubass - it'll get rid of the brightness.

From what you say I find Rotosound Trubass are the closest you can get a bass guitar to sound like a double bass. They look a bit different but are good fun.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='570075' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:28 PM']The other option would be Rotosound Trubass black nylon strings. Your bass / pickup will obviously be a factor in the tone but you'll certainly notice a real change with flats or Trubass - it'll get rid of the brightness.

From what you say I find Rotosound Trubass are the closest you can get a bass guitar to sound like a double bass. They look a bit different but are good fun.[/quote]

They look pretty cool. Does the heavy guage make a big difference? Any sound samples anywhere to show what these sound like?

[quote name='lanark' post='570091' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:49 PM']They look pretty cool. Does the heavy guage make a big difference? Any sound samples anywhere to show what these sound like?[/quote]

THe heavy gauge is no problem as they are rubber (any lighter and the neck wouldn't have the required tension. Sound wise Paul McCartney used them at Abbey Road and on the rooftop gig so that would be as good a place as any to start

[quote name='lanark' post='569971' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:07 PM']Are flatwounds the way to go? Will they make a drastic difference?[/quote]

Yes to both questions - you will love flats and never go back to rounds IMO.

I prefer the feel of the ordinary flats to the black nylon ones and my favourites for a smooth db type sound are GHS precisions.

You can get them from the US on ebay for about £20 including delivery.

Edited by redstriper

Anyone used Olympia flatwounds?

How long does the US ebay guy take to deliver the Precisions to the UK?

Is this the guy?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/GHS-Precision-Flatwound-Bass-Guitar-String-M3050-45-105_W0QQitemZ370170932501QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item562fe82d15&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116"]http://cgi.ebay.com/GHS-Precision-Flatwoun...p3286.m20.l1116[/url]

Edited by lanark