Why become a member? ×

Fretless 4 string sold as a new instrument

mybass

As a long time player I have also designed, built and sold fretless basses on a private basis. I was asked to join a new instrument business venture and had bought parts etc and started making instruments. Due to current economics this venture has ground to a halt.
I have asked the Basschat Mod. chaps about selling on the site and have been given an okay with a small donation going towards Basschat.

My basses have generally sold at around £1200+ mark though I've had two bassists tell me this was too low for a custom bass!
I can offer this bass to Basschaters at £1050 plus postage and there is no case at this point.
Anyone is invited to try the bass out first of course.
The fingerboards have a more compound shape, flattening out towards the higher octaves. I think this is very important for fretless, (well, even fretted for me, like Fender).

Specifications as follows:
4 string fretless
Swamp Ash single piece body
3 Piece maple neck
4 piece bolt on with "eyelet" washers , brass inserts into neckwood
Ebony fingerboard about 12" to about 16" compound radius, (flattening out up the top end)
Seymouy Duncan Active Jazz pickups (I've used these p/ups for many years on basses)
Vol/Tone on each pickup
Schaller 3D bridge
Schaller Tuners
Weight 7lbs/3.25kg (kitchen scales!)
Nut width as close as 39.5mm/1.55"
Neck depth at nut 25.75mm/1.015" 12th fret width 55.4mm/ 2.18"
Neck depth at 12th fret 27.5mm/1.085"
Double octave/24 frets distance though the G#/25 note is available on the G string.
Neck has a natural Danish oil finish
Body and headstock face finished with "Tru Oil".
Currently fitted with Galli 105/85/65/45 strings

A NEW WIDER NUT WITH WIDER STRING SPACING HAS BEEN FITTED SINCE THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN AND I'VE RESET UP THE BASS,
THINNING THE NECK DEPTH A LITTLE.

The bass neck is slightly deeper than I normally leave them but I think some players prefer this.

I am situated in NE Hants, 3 miles off the A3 /Hindhead.

BUMP

Edited by mybass

That...... is...... lovely......

Right... Let me think... "Honey, I need a Bass with a natural finish.." No, no ,no... Erm... "Honey, I can get by with just one kidney..." uhuh.. Erm... Erm....

Oh bugger! What's a guy to do? :)

[quote name='Pentode' post='568364' date='Aug 13 2009, 08:19 PM']That...... is...... lovely......

Right... Let me think... "Honey, I need a Bass with a natural finish.." No, no ,no... Erm... "Honey, I can get by with just one kidney..." uhuh.. Erm... Erm....

Oh bugger! What's a guy to do? :)[/quote]

I'm now surviving with half a kidney....! The other one and a half have long gone!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='568603' date='Aug 14 2009, 02:20 AM']Ah!

I kind of recognise the bass - a similar instrument was used some years ago now to demo Marshall's Dynamic bass rigs - (we had a demo night here in Peterborough) and it was made and played by Mr Pete Stroud! Is that you Pete?

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]

Headstock says PS on it, so I think you could be right sir!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='568603' date='Aug 14 2009, 02:20 AM']Ah!

I kind of recognise the bass - a similar instrument was used some years ago now to demo Marshall's Dynamic bass rigs - (we had a demo night here in Peterborough) and it was made and played by Mr Pete Stroud! Is that you Pete?

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]

The Magnum icecream goes to you Nick. It was I indeed playing a monstrous Marshall rig, these days playing Mark Bass.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='568165' date='Aug 13 2009, 04:53 PM']Looks to me like a fine bass guitar! I like the pickup spacing; I personally dislike basses where the back p/up is too close to the bridge - you have it just about right there!

Nick[/quote]

Thanks. The pickup placement is pretty important on basses that don't have a massive dose of active eq on board and where they sit gets about the best results from a fretless.

[quote name='mybass' post='567900' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:00 PM']As a long time player I have also designed, built and sold fretless basses on a private basis. I was asked to join a new instrument business venture and had bought parts etc and started making instruments. Due to current economics this venture has ground to a halt.
I have asked the Basschat Mod. chaps about selling on the site and have been given an okay with a small donation going towards Basschat.

My basses have generally sold at around £1200 mark though I'm told this is too low by two bassists!
I can offer this bass to Basschaters at £1050 plus postage and there is no case at this point.
The fingerboards have a more compound shape, flattening out towards the higher octaves. I think this is very important for fretless, (well, even fretted for me, like Fender).

4 string fretless
3 Piece maple neck
Macassar Ebony fingerboard about 12" compound radius, flattening out up the top end
Seymouy Duncan Active Jazz pickups (I've used these p/ups for many years on basses)
Vol/Tone on each pickup
Schaller 3D bridge
Schaller Tuners
Neck depth at nut 25.75mm/1.015"
12th fret width 55.4mm/ 2.18"
Double octave/24 frets distance though the G#/25 note is available on the G string.

The bass neck is slightly deeper than I normally leave them but I think some players prefer this.

I am situated in NE Hants, 3 miles off the A3 /Hindhead.[/quote]

BUMP

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='575711' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:08 PM']Out of interest, why Danish oil for the neck and Tru-Oil for the rest of the bass?

Nice to see 1 solid bit of ash too.[/quote]
Good question........
Danish oil penetrates into the wood more and gives a very flat finish to the neck wood, though sometimes for a couple of times when new, it may need a wirewool "smoothing down" as the neck wood fibre roughens after a few plays, then re-oil.
Tru oil builds up as a surface coat similar to varnishing in a way. 6/7 coats are applied as per one a day, with light micro fibre (very fine polishing paper) in between coats.
The choice for me is Tru oil on the body wood (withpre-coat/undercoat first) as it is termed as harmless as a vapour, pretty easy to apply and easy to repair over again.

Edited by mybass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mybass' post='567900' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:00 PM']As a long time player I have also designed, built and sold fretless basses on a private basis. I was asked to join a new instrument business venture and had bought parts etc and started making instruments. Due to current economics this venture has ground to a halt.

My basses have generally sold at around £1200 mark though I'm told this is too low by two bassists!

4 string fretless
3 Piece maple neck
Macassar Ebony fingerboard about 12" compound radius, flattening out up the top end
Vol/Tone on each pickup
Schaller 3D bridge
Schaller Tuners

BUMP

[quote name='The Burpster' post='585838' date='Aug 31 2009, 04:37 PM']DAMN unt blast....

If that neck had been 4mm wider at the nut I'dve had that to fill in until HG Thor defret one of my PRSs....

That is so PRS like without actually being one - its very very very nice![/quote]

Thanks for the favourable comments Burpster. Always a dilemma when making a bass "for the shelf" as to what dimensions to use. This one has a deeper than normal thickness on the neck than I usually make. Another bass has a much slimmer neck and a headless bass is about "normal".

The deeper neck is one of the traits that I love about PRS necks.

What is the string spacing at the nut...?

Looks a bit too close to J spacing for my fingers, but it also looks like there would be a little space available to put a new nut with fractionally larger spacings.....?

Is that just wishful thinking..?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='586395' date='Sep 1 2009, 11:44 AM']The deeper neck is one of the traits that I love about PRS necks.

What is the string spacing at the nut...?

Looks a bit too close to J spacing for my fingers, but it also looks like there would be a little space available to put a new nut with fractionally larger spacings.....?

Is that just wishful thinking..?[/quote]

I have a Roscoe Beck Fender 4 string fretted. Width at nut is 38.54mm / 1.517"
My 4 string fretless nut width is...........................................39.39mm / 1.550"
String widths are indeed marginally closer on the fretless opposed to the R Beck so there would be room for a new nut with wider string spacing on fretless.

• 2 weeks later...

My basses have generally sold at around £1200 mark though I'm told this is too low by two pro bassists!

4 string fretless
3 Piece maple neck
Vol/Tone on each pickup
Schaller 3D bridge
Schaller Tuners

BUMP

• 2 weeks later...

My basses have generally sold at around £1200+ mark though I've had two bassists tell me this was too low for a custom bass!

4 string fretless
3 Piece maple neck
Ebony fingerboard about 12" to about 16" compound radius, (flattening out up the top end)
Vol/Tone on each pickup
Schaller 3D bridge
Schaller Tuners
Neck depth at nut 25.75mm/1.015" 12th fret width 55.4mm/ 2.18"

A NEW WIDER NUT WITH WIDER STRING SPACING HAS BEEN FITTED SINCE THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN AND I'VE RESET UP THE BASS,
THINNING THE NECK DEPTH A LITTLE.

I am situated in NE Hants, 3 miles off the A3 /Hindhead.

BUMP[/quote]
BUMP