Why become a member? ×

My new Ibanez GSR206 - six string madness!

Doc B

A couple of weeks ago I'd spent a day or so trying out all the 5 string basses I could find in Glasgow for under £500 with a view to getting one to re-string E-C and add a D-tuner so I could play more chords and indulge in my cod-Peter Hook bass style and play along with songs written with a low B (no jazz or fusion or prog for me).

Given the distinct lack of choice in Glasgow, anywhere apart from Guitar Guitar, I couldn't really find anything that I really clicked with except for the wild-card choice of the Ibanez GSR206 6 string in Guitar Guitar. This was the bass that I spent the most time with and preferred it's playability and tone to the 5s and at £250 it was the cheapest too.

In the end I bought the Zoom B2 I was also wanting and I went home without another bass. It took me a week of thinking it over as I've always thought I wasn't a good enough player to try a 6, my hands are too small, etc but this was as easy to play as most 5s I've tried. It also removed the need to shell out another £80 quid or so to get at a D-Tuner and was the cheapest of all the basses I'd liked the look of. I'd also been GASsing badly for a 30" scale 6 string bass/baritone for messing about and this 6 would cover that requirement too.

The 6 started to make sense so I went back in to Guitar Guitar and got it last Saturday.

It's still a big mental jump going for 4 to 6 strings even though I play g****r as well! I'll need to practice a bit to adjust my fingerstyle technique and I find using a plectrum much easier on the big six.

I'm really chuffed with this bass and it's the first time I've bought a bass and had to raise the action to suit my needs! The tone is good too especially with just the bridge pickup (which is almost in a MM style 'sweet spot' position) volume up and the passive tone full up and the Phat II EQ full on as well. I'm not sure about the exact nature of the Phat II: it seems to be described as an active bass boost by some but it also seems to boost the high mids to my ears.

Anyway - check out the pics:

[attachment=30719:Ibanez_3.jpg]
[attachment=30718:Ibanez_2.jpg]
[attachment=30717:Ibanez_1.jpg]

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='566990' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:06 PM']Nice looking Bass, what's the B string like on it ?[/quote]

Cheers.

The B sounds just a tad quieter than the higher strings but I think screwing down the treble side of the bridge pickup will solve that as the 3 highest strings are loudest - but I'm not sure where my precision screw driver set is just now.

Other than that the B is well defined, growly and not too 'floppy' in comparison to other basses I tried - I can even hear it unamplified! The string tension is even over the 6 strings too.

I'm well chuffed with this - great bass for the money.

[quote name='Machines' post='566976' date='Aug 12 2009, 04:54 PM']£250 you say ? That's a steal ! Looks nice, even fancy it myself.[/quote]

Oh yeah - I forgot to say:

The build quality of this bass is better than my Squier VM Jazz, except for one thing: the crappy plastic control knobs! I guess something had to give to get this bass in on budget but silver plastic knobs are tacky. Even black plastic would have been better.

But still it was £250, so musn't grrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuumble.

I think that Ibanez are fantastic basses. That six stringer`s a beast. A few years ago I had a GSR205 and it was a great bass just one string too many. The build quality and finish are fantastic.
I own 2 at the moment a srx700 and a sr700. I bought Dub Junkies Stingray and it`s a fantastic bass, but you know what, I think I still prefer my Ibby`s.

Jez