Why become a member? ×

Eden WTX500

cris the man

Hey guys
Looking into buying a new head below £1000

Found this little devil, the Eden WTX500, looks very practical for my kinda setup.
Does anyone have any feedback on Eden? alternatively, does anyone have this head and could tell me if its worth the money?

Saw a video of the bass player from the stooges trying his Eden rig, but it was quite hard to understand him :)

Thanks very much!

[quote name='cris the man' post='566614' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:11 AM']Hey guys

Found this little devil, the Eden WTX500, looks very practical for my kinda setup.
Does anyone have any feedback on Eden? alternatively, does anyone have this head and could tell me if its worth the money?

Saw a video of the bass player from the stooges trying his Eden rig, but it was quite hard to understand him :)

Thanks very much![/quote]
Cant comment on that particular amp but my wt500 works really well especialy with my xlt210 and xlt410 cabs all of which will be for sale soon. hmmm was that a bit obvious ?

I have the WTX260. If the 500 is the same thing but with a bigger power amp, I can say it gives a very clean Eden-type sound and does pump out as many watts as it says it does. It's very small and does just about fit in my bass's gig bag pouch.

Worth getting a friend or relative to pick one up in America for half the price and bring it back in a suitcase though. No adjustments required - just plug it in using a UK plug.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='566654' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:01 PM']How much are the WTX500s here? Obvious alternative choices are the Markbass LMII/III and Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and there are plenty of very happy owners of both on here.

Alex[/quote]

The WTX500 is going for around £550 odd... worth it?

[quote name='cris the man' post='569814' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:49 AM']The WTX500 is going for around £550 odd... worth it?[/quote]

That's roughly parity with the other microheads and I've yet to come across an Eden that doesn't sound good. Both TheFunk and HappyJack like their WTX260s with their Barefaced cabs so with twice the power it's a safe bet. Compared to the LMII/III I'd expect it to be rounder and warmer (LM is very clean) whilst I'd expect the Shuttle 6.0 to be more punchy. Add a couple of decent lightweight cabs and you've got a modular rig that could handle just about any gig.

Alex

I'll add that Silverfoxnik was in my garage for a couple of hours yesterday evening, playing through both my WTX-260 and my Demeter/Digam rig ... though it was through an Eden Nemesis NSP115 light-weight cab rather than the Big One.

To my surprise (and I suspect his) he preferred the WTX-260 to the Demeter/Digam.

I have no idea if the WTX amps are "better" than, say, Markbass or GenzBenz (whatever "better" means in this context) but I can pretty much guarantee that you won't regret buying one. They're very cleverly designed, easy to live with, and they sound excellent.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='569919' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:00 PM']To my surprise (and I suspect his) he preferred the WTX-260 to the Demeter/Digam.[/quote]

I know that feeling! I have strange suspicion I prefer the Shuttle 6.0 to my Avalon U5/QSC PLX rig, can't be right, surely...

Alex

heres a picture
[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/amps/indiv/images/zoom_wtx500.jpg"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/a...zoom_wtx500.jpg[/url]

Just looking at it, i've noticed that the knobs can pull out to add bass boost etc. When you pull theese out i'm asuming you can turn them to increase bass boost then just put it back in and it'll go back to being able to adjust bass?

No - it's clever, but not [b][i]that [/i][/b]clever!

The Pull Boost knob simply adds a fixed amount of boost to your sound, while the knob continues with its original function.

Similarly the Pull Compressor knob cuts out the 'always on' on-board compressor.

It's not supposed to be a multi-function parametric control panel. Eden have tried to give the giging musician what he actually needs (in their opinion) as opposed to what he thinks he needs.

In my opinion, they've come pretty damned close. I prefer my Maxon compressor pedal to the on-board compressor and ... erm ... that's about it, really. The rest of the amp just does exactly what I need.

The one thing it's NOT is impressive to look at. My main gigging rig looks far better - it's got knobs & buttons, flashing lights, pretty colours - and it cost WAY more than the Eden to put together. I still have to think about which to take to a gig though. :)

Used a WT500 for years and only changed it due to the weight of the whole rig (Eden cabs) Doesn't sound a bad price and highly reliable with tone to die for. Regret selling it now. Many players reverse (and improve) the airflow on the WT range by simply turning the fan round. They even admitted it worked better on the Eden forum.

[quote name='cris the man' post='566614' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:11 AM']Hey guys

Thanks very much![/quote]

Cris de Man,

Eden amps give a great combination of tone and power.

They are rather more clean sounding than most but still sound full and uncoloured.

You'll probably find you hardly have to touch the tone controls to get a good sound

I've had my WT800c since christmas and I know I will be heard in any gig, In fact the 500 would be enough for most of the gigs I do.

The DI sound is fantastic for recording. Last two sessions the Engineers have not really EQ'd the sound at all

Highly recommend them.

cheers

Fran

[quote name='Aero' post='573656' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:22 PM']Cris de Man,

They are rather more clean sounding than most but still sound full and uncoloured.

You'll probably find you hardly have to touch the tone controls to get a good sound

I've had my WT800c since christmas and I know I will be heard in any gig, In fact the 500 would be enough for most of the gigs I do.

The DI sound is fantastic for recording. Last two sessions the Engineers have not really EQ'd the sound at all

Highly recommend them.

cheers

Fran[/quote]

thanks very much
i feel, it's better to get a clean sounding amp than a 'dirty' sounding one, as its alot easier to make it sound dity than to make it sound clean. It'll go well with my GT-10b :)

[quote name='Aero' post='573656' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:22 PM']Cris de Man,

Highly recommend them.

cheers

Fran[/quote]

+1 to all above!