Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan 1962 Re-issue Fretless Jazz Bass (Jaco bass)

Linus27

At some point, I would like to get a Fender Japan 1962 Re-issue Fretless Jazz Bass as seen in the below picture. Basically the fretless Jaco copy bass that Fender Japan make. I got the Squire VMJ to keep me going but I would sell this as I would really like a Fender in my collection. Does anyone have one or had one and can share their thoughts on the bass.

Many thanks.

[quote name='Clarky' post='566626' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:27 AM']If memory serves me correctly Beedster sold one of these on BC a few months back - shoot him a PM. He is after all the current holder of the 'I've played more fretless Fenders than anyone else on BC' title :lol:[/quote]

I've played a lot but I'm certainly no expert so don't make any decisions based on this :rolleyes:

I picked up a CIJ Jaco in a trade, I wasn't really looking for one but I thought it would be a useful back-up to my '73 fretless. As with all MIJs the build quality was great and tone was good, but I just couldn't get as sweet a tone out of it as from my '73, either with the stock (USA) PUPs or with a set of Fralin split coils. Perhaps that quality tone only comes fom old, played-in basses, but having said that my old MIJ '62 reissue Precision was awesome, so I guess the Jaco wasn't quite in that league. I also don't like fretless necks on which the dots aren't at the fretline - whether that's where Jaco had them or not - as I find it bloody hard to switch from bass to bass :)

I ended up selling it quite cheaply. If I was going to buy another I'd probably go to Ishibashi.

Hope that helps

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='566658' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:05 PM']I've played a lot but I'm certainly no expert so don't make any decisions based on this :rolleyes:

I picked up a CIJ Jaco in a trade, I wasn't really looking for one but I thought it would be a useful back-up to my '73 fretless. As with all MIJs the build quality was great and tone was good, but I just couldn't get as sweet a tone out of it as from my '73, either with the stock (USA) PUPs or with a set of Fralin split coils. Perhaps that quality tone only comes fom old, played-in basses, but having said that my old MIJ '62 reissue Precision was awesome, so I guess the Jaco wasn't quite in that league. I also don't like fretless necks on which the dots aren't at the fretline - whether that's where Jaco had them or not - as I find it bloody hard to switch from bass to bass :)

I ended up selling it quite cheaply. If I was going to buy another I'd probably go to Ishibashi.

Hope that helps

Chris[/quote]

Thanks Chris for the info. Overall, it sounds like a good bass especially for what I want it for. One question though, you said you don't like fretless necks on which the dots aren't at the fretline. So are you saying that on the Jaco you play in the centre between the fretliners to get the correct note? The Squire VMJ you play up to the fretline to play the correct note.

[quote name='Linus27' post='566677' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:35 PM']Thanks Chris for the info. Overall, it sounds like a good bass especially for what I want it for. One question though, you said you don't like fretless necks on which the dots aren't at the fretline. So are you saying that on the Jaco you play in the centre between the fretliners to get the correct note? The Squire VMJ you play up to the fretline to play the correct note.[/quote]
I think what Chris is saying is that the neck replicates Jaco's de-fretted neck, so that the side dots are where they would be on a fretted bass ie between the fret lines not on the fret lines. You still play the note on the fret line though, like on a Squier VMJ

[quote name='Clarky' post='566684' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:41 PM']I think what Chris is saying is that the neck replicates Jaco's de-fretted neck, so that the side dots are where they would be on a fretted bass ie between the fret lines not on the fret lines. You still play the note on the fret line though, like on a Squier VMJ[/quote]

Groovy, thanks Clarky, that would be perfect for me if thats the case.

Yes, Clarky's correct, sorry for the confusion :)

Having thought about it a while, I think that if I were going to buy a fretless Jazz at the moment I'd be buying the Warmoth that (I think) is still on here at a ludicrously low price. I've played the MIJ, MIA and Custom Shop Jaco basses and, on reflection, all of them seem a little tame. Perhaps I was expecting too much from them but I guess there's something a bit off about a bass who's USP is that it looks like another bass :rolleyes:

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='566734' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:27 PM']Yes, Clarky's correct, sorry for the confusion :)

Having thought about it a while, I think that if I were going to buy a fretless Jazz at the moment I'd be buying the Warmoth that (I think) is still on here at a ludicrously low price. I've played the MIJ, MIA and Custom Shop Jaco basses and, on reflection, all of them seem a little tame. Perhaps I was expecting too much from them but I guess there's something a bit off about a bass who's USP is that it looks like another bass :rolleyes:

Chris[/quote]

Thanks again Chris. It has to be a Fender I am afraid as thats the make thats missing from my collection and the only place left to fill is my fretless.

[quote name='buff' post='566769' date='Aug 12 2009, 02:11 PM']i would say thats a 63 re issue, the 62 had stacked knobs.[/quote]
The CIJ 62s have three knobs - see [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=3"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=3[/url]

That's Fender QC for ya :)

I think, IIRC, some '62s did, some didn't. Jaco's, which may not have been a '62 anyway (he wasn't the most reliable of sources at the best of times and the bass or basses in question are long gone) had three.

Personally having owned both I prefer three. Individual tone controls are a PITA

Chris