Why become a member? ×

Matt says hello

BB3000S

Hello everyone!

As I've been lurking around here for some time I guess it's about time for an introduction. Name's Mattias, or Matt for short, saw the light of day in 1971 and started playing the bass as a 13-year old in 1984. I live in Uppsala just north of Stockholm with my wife and two kids, and spend my working days doing chemical engineering stuff within the biotech sector.

My father who is a jazz pianist introduced me to the bass, or more to the point he patiently played jazz standards for hours on end with me while I was slowly absorbing how to play something meaningful and hopefully supportive on the bass. I'm incredibly grateful to him even to this day - I recall how magical it felt that I was part of playing real music, jazz no less! Never mind that I was playing scales either up or down for the most part. Well, it was fun, great fun, from the get go and I knew there would be no turning back.

Apart from jazz which I played (and still do) with my dad and his guys, influenced by the 80's me and my pals went pretty deep into West Coast style pop/rock. Later on (90's-ish) I played in some more fusion-like constellations, and have also payed my dues in cover bands.

Since ~00 I play more at home and less out than before, but the music is always there - perhaps I'm narrowminded but I can't imagine many things more fun than playing the bass! My current projects are a Robben Ford influenced type of blues band (though if I can help it without any tapping on my part) and a really fun band where we're mixing pretty AC/DC'ish guitars with more funky bass and drums and a singer that loves RHCP. For my bass playing at home I'm amazed and inspired by all the great stuff that's on Youtube - if only one could have been shown how to do Mark King's stuff back in the eighties...

I'm very glad to have found Basschat, you guys seem to have a really nice place here. :)

Thanks for reading through the ramblings of a bassoholic Swede!

cheers // Matt

Edit: Spleling error

Edited by BB3000S

[quote name='yorick' post='564650' date='Aug 10 2009, 07:50 AM']Welcome Matt....[/quote]

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='564962' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:47 PM']Welcome Matt - hope you enjoy the forum :)

BTW - Don't worry - Speling erros and pore gramma are very commun on this froum.[/quote]

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='564989' date='Aug 10 2009, 03:04 PM']Hej Matt.

I was in Upsalla two weeks ago. If you posted earlier you could have saved me from the family from and we could have shared a beer or two!

Welcome aboard.[/quote]
Thanks guys, glad to be here. :rolleyes:

Low End Bee - that's too bad, if you ever make a revisit do let me know.
Hope you enjoyed the town, it's pretty quiet in summer when all the students are away. There's still beer aplenty though. :lol: