Why become a member? ×

Goodness me !

hatori

This week I jacked in the 3 piece rnb band I was in, feeling the need to do something a bit more creative.
Looking at the rig I had been using my thoughts turned to selling up and buying new stuff in.
Today I set up my 2x10 and 1x12 Bagend spec homebuilds with one of my two Marshall JCM 800 MK2's.
Plugging in my Tobias Sixxer that I had recently defretted I thought..nah its gonna sound crap.
Flip me was I wrong ! Oodles of valve tone and low b tightness.
The only drawback is that it looks odd and is heavy as hell.
Im confused now cos I was thinking of selling both and going for a nice standalone 2x12 to go with the MB lm2.
Sorry peeps just thinking out loud ,has anyone had a similar experience ?

Hey mate! ;o) - Wow!! It's funny isn't it? Sometimes you find great tone in what would seem an unlikely configuration! - I absolutely love this little guitar combo over where my band writes material. It's a little Marshall box with a 8" speaker.. but set to distort a bit it sounds GREAT with my basses. I want it! lol I wouldn't mind seeing what it sounded like miked up. Talk about a short cut to gnarly bass tone ;o)

Hope you are keepin' well n' everything!

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 60 1x12 guitar combo that I use in the house (keep the input/drive gain right down, scoop the mids and use the output gain for master volume) and I have to say that the tone at house volume is superb (even with a couple of guitarists giving electro-acoustics a good thrashing)! I am under no delusion that as soon as I turned up the wick I'd lose the thick warm punchy tone as it turned into overdrive but at this volume I bet it would record great with a quality mic or with the Tech 21 balanced DI.

As you say, sometimes the strangest things just work!

[quote name='dood' post='564183' date='Aug 9 2009, 03:16 PM']Hey mate! ;o) - Wow!! It's funny isn't it? Sometimes you find great tone in what would seem an unlikely configuration! - I absolutely love this little guitar combo over where my band writes material. It's a little Marshall box with a 8" speaker.. but set to distort a bit it sounds GREAT with my basses. I want it! lol I wouldn't mind seeing what it sounded like miked up. Talk about a short cut to gnarly bass tone ;o)

Hope you are keepin' well n' everything![/quote]
Hello Dood

I was expecting mush but got good clean tone up to earth shattering (in my house..oh dear), it did break up a bit with the superbass but not much. I suppose the combination of the EMG's and preamp plus the Eminence speakers helped.
Im gonna try my superlead with linked channels, now that is a brute, and I bet I'll get clean up to (oh my God Ive broke the windows) level. Im torn between selling them both purely because of their unwieldy size and weight. Cant help imagining how they would sound on top of an SWR Bigfoot though..imagine two bigfoot 2's with a JCM 800 atop each..a stereo rig !!
The Tobias is still singing and the defret has been beautifully done with boxwood blanks.
Hows your band doing?