Why become a member? ×

my pro 6 started smoking!!!!!!

0175westwood29

doing a sound check for our gig thursday night, and i smelt burning looked behind and the kettle lead of my pro-6 was smoking! turned it of straight away, and unplugged the lead from back of the amp, and it was melted! and stinking!

what the hell would cause that! i know the pro 6 has a large current draw! but its never happened anywhere else! any ideas?

im taking it to get looked at tomorrow as it is under guarantee but im concerned as we play alot of places this size and i'd rather not have my amp doing this half the time! is there any way to help the current draw stay down?

andy

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='563393' date='Aug 8 2009, 11:39 AM']Off to a pro methinks, and don't experimentally be using it any more.[/quote]

+1million - dont even change the fuse and plug it back in... might be teaching to suck eggs here, but can't stress safety enough.

[quote name='dood' post='563464' date='Aug 8 2009, 01:50 PM']+1million - dont even change the fuse and plug it back in... might be teaching to suck eggs here, but can't stress safety enough.[/quote]

yeh i dnt plan to turn it on again till im at mansons tomoz, the kettle leads a bigger gauge than norm because of the current it needs, i suppose it may have been on the brink of breakin?

but yeh it def of to the tech to sort!

im thionking of picking up a baby amp to use as a backup now tho! Mmmm

andy

[quote name='alexclaber' post='563382' date='Aug 8 2009, 11:21 AM']Even a high power amp shouldn't draw that much continuous current unless there is a fault or you are using a very low current power lead. A hi-fi amp of mine did a similar thing years ago which was related to transformer failure.

Alex[/quote]

im using the lead that came with the amp and it's been fine up till now.

andy

took it to mansons today, they're leaving it on in the store all day, but he thinks its maybe a faulty kettle lead which is good.

im still not convinced tho!? the amps wicked but ive only had it 6 months, and it already had to go in, im getting a very nice backup amp in the next to months and if i like it i may well get rid of the pro-6, as its really not as loud as they make out!

andy