Why become a member? ×

twin combos???

BarnacleBob

I have a little PJ Briefcase combo, v nice and v loud (for 100 watts). Good for practice and small gigs.
For larger gigs I was wondering rather than trading up to something larger what if i got a second Briefcase combo (there is one for good price on the forum)
Has anyone done this with any combo(s) - are their problems i haven't foreseen?

Would I use the XLR balanced line out or the jack pre-amp out and feed it to the second combo?

And big question would it be twice as loud as one combo?

I am old school and used to love big spkrs (12 and 15) but the old back aint what it used to be :)

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

It'll be 6dB louder than one combo on its own, which won't sound quite twice as loud but it won't be too far off. With the Briefcase you are fighting against it being designed to go low and as its only small that does cost in sensitivity. Should sound nice but don't expect miracles!

Alex

OK. How about a Markbass LM2 with a Barefaced Midget, which is 3 lbs less than the PJ combo, at 25lbs. Two trips to the car, but probably a bigger, better sound. Also, the Compact is only 2 lbs heavier than your combo. I would also check out a trolly.

I don't think the PJ can be daisy chained. You'd have to use a split lead.

Having for decades struggled with gear that felt like somebody had nailed it to the floor at the end of a gig,these are the routes that I have taken,firstly I tried out the three l'weight options that were available in this part of the world,markbass,pj &gk,finaly settled on the gallien krueger mb150s,gives a good core sound & will hold its own on small pub gigs,for larger gigs I now link this in one of two ways to my old trace blx combo,plan a is to use the trace speaker as an ext cab or plan b,run from the gk line out to the effects return of the trace (this method bypasses the trace pre amp section & feeds direct into its power amp side).I am currently loking for a 15" powered monitor that I can use instead of the blx to shift more air & increase the low end.If you have an active bass the output should also be sufficient to drive a powered monitor on its own.I would keep your PJ & use it to feed something else in the same manner,powered ext spkr is definately the way to go if you want to keep it light, simple & if your lucky,cheap,all the best,mike .

Thanks for all that people.
Now looking thru the pinned lightweight cabs thread section for inspiration.
I haven't played live in many a year cos I am simply unable to hump gear. My back can be fine a lot of the time but when it goes, it goes big time.
GP wont recommend me for treatment as it is not a chronic condition and will clear up eventually each time so he just gives me excercise and recommends a painkiller. Should pay a private chiropracter really to have a look

I also dont want to join a band again then have to bring a note saying why I aint helping with setting up but could someone help me with my stuff please.

The reason for this is that is how I got the back trouble in the first place - played in a 'pro' Show band for years where the drummer only moved his own stuff (cos there was so much of it????), the guitarist drank and sat with his wife ( the singer and keyboard player) and left me to pack the van every night.
and one night tried to lift a PA bass bin which tried to kill me :)

Rant over!!!! sorry if I sound bitter about all that but I am :rolleyes:

Anyhoo hear good stuff about Epifani cabs - may manage with the 2x10 - any opinions and which amp?

BB (Bad Back :lol: )

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='chris_b' post='561549' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:27 PM']OK. How about a Markbass LM2 with a Barefaced Midget, which is 3 lbs less than the PJ combo, at 25lbs. Two trips to the car, but probably a bigger, better sound.[/quote]

I have to say I've been very impressed with the first Midget - it's so LOUD with a handful of watts and it can comfortably handle full power from any of the current micro-amps. I didn't honestly expect it to be quite this potent - it's not as fat in the lows as the Compact but that's easily rectified with a twist of the bass knob.

Alex

When I were a nipper , buying a second combo of the same type as your first seemed quite a poular way of beefing up for bigger gigs but the idea seems to be old hat now. I did it myself quite successfully for a few years - sometimes having one combo either side of the drum kit.

At the time I lifted the earth wire in one of them and it stopped a fair bit of the extra hum (I marked the earth lifted cables) - although I wouldn't suggest for a second that anyone do this - I'm just not qualified to say it's safe or otherwise.