Why become a member? ×

Need help with first build

max363

Okies, so I got my hands on some cheap-as-hell fender P-bass copy, which has got decent wood. As I am GASing for fretless bass for quite a while I decided to customize it and make a fretless P-bass :rolleyes:

Going to change head's shape to lil bit more aggressive one and body's upper horn will be turned into scroll-shaped bass upper horn. And if my finances allow me body will be covered in leather(Yes, I hope to dress up my bass :lol: ).
However, as i got completely no experience working with wood, i got quite a few questions. Hopefully you guys can help me out with them :)

Well, first of all, as I am living in the deepest woods called Lithuania, 15~20euro worth ebony fretboard shipping costs from 30 to 50euro. Which is pretty much my all projects budget :lol:
Only hardwoods that i can get without selling my kidneys are maple and oak. I highly doubt that oak will be good. Is maple usable for fretless fretboard?
Secondly, What finish i can use for wood(neck, body). Is let say, just plain wood lacquer OK for the job? Over the forums people seem to talk about some oils and waxes, sadly i got no idea what those are :|

Heh, had a lot more questions, but my mind is already on holidays(first time in couple of years going to the sea :lol: ) and can't remember them >.<''

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='max363' post='567779' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:13 AM']One more question guys. Anyone knows how to remove such tuners?[/quote]

Looks like screw fit bushings to me. You need an appropriate sized spanner/socket to remove the bushings. Socket + ratchet is better, the socket fits over the tuner poking out of the headstock. Once the bushings are removed, unscrew the small screws from the back and the whole unit should slide out of the hole.

A coating of epoxy on the fingerboard will toughen it up: I'm sure if you Google it, something will come up?
Didn't Jaco do something like that?

Year ago I defretted a no-name P Bass copy, filled the slots with wood filler and brush varnished ( not lacquered) the neck and even kept the original roundwound strings. I never noticed any wear on the fretboard!