Why become a member? ×

Hello again...

Doc B

It's been a fair time since I posted on here, mainly because I went through a period of doing very little bass playing or anything bass-related. I'm in the process of changing that and have been playing again recently and I'm hoping to be on here regularly again too.

I'm in the process of 'rationalising' my gear. I'm even selling my beloved Warwick Streamer Std as it isn't the sound I want anymore - my maple body and neck Squier VM Jazz with Wizards is 'the sound' for me right now. It's a shame as the Warwick plays and feels better than any bass I've ever played on but the Jazz is getting all the action now. So it's time to move the Warwick on.

I recently flogged my PC-based recording gear and got a Boss Micro BR to encourage me to play, practice and recording more. I never got on with the PC set up as it was too time consuming when I just wanted to fire an idea down onto the hard drive. The Micro BR is a great wee thing and does everything I need, especially as I haven't been in a band for a few years now (another reason I stopped playing). It's also a damn sight smaller than any previous recording set up I've used.

Once I sell the gear I don't need or use I'm planning to get a 5 string, string it E-C and stick a D-tuner on it. The high C will give me more latitude with playing chords and I've never gone below low D when I had a 5 before, so I don't need a 6 (although I'll maybe try one out just to see). I'm going to try as many 5s as I can to see what I like.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a nice, fast playing 5 string that suits playing chords, has a good amount of high end clarity and costs less than £500 let me know ;-)

Welcome back mate.

One word of caution - sometimes you get REALLY used to the sound of your bass, and playing something else instantly sounds better (though may not feel as nice) because it sounds new and interesting. Give it a month or so and go back to the Warwick with fresh ears, and it will sound new again, and take you by surprise. I have made the mistake of selling basses which I have listened back to on recordings and thought ''aww that sounds lovely!''

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='557311' date='Jul 31 2009, 05:31 PM']Welcome back mate.

One word of caution - sometimes you get REALLY used to the sound of your bass, and playing something else instantly sounds better (though may not feel as nice) because it sounds new and interesting. Give it a month or so and go back to the Warwick with fresh ears, and it will sound new again, and take you by surprise. I have made the mistake of selling basses which I have listened back to on recordings and thought ''aww that sounds lovely!''

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Not likely to be a problem - I've had the Jazz for over a year now and it's definitely what I want sound wise. Shame it's not anywhere near as nice to play as the Warwick. The Warwick saw off the challenge of a status graphite but not the Jazz.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='557307' date='Jul 31 2009, 05:28 PM']...For under £500 ish i would suggest a Lakland 55-01...[/quote]

I'll need to see if I can find a used one, they're £650-699 new. I'm also not sure about the 35" scale with my wee hands.