Why become a member? ×

Mike & Tony

Rayman

I had the camera out today, so I thought I'd take a couple of pics of my two basses (for this week) together.

Kinal MK-5 "Mike" :

Aero pickups, Bartolini EQ, Ebony pickup covers & Fretboard, sex on a stick.

Even the jack socket cover is made from wood:

OLP Tony Levin "Tony" :

HEAVILY modded; Nordstrand 5.2 pickup, John East 3 band EQ, 3 way switch for series/parallel etc, Brass nut & Musicman battery compartment, and fully shielded inside.

Both absolutely unbelievable basses. The Kinal of course was handmade by Mike Kinal, and speaks for itself. The OLP however, started life as a decent budget bass, bought for me by my wife a couple of years ago, and has been transformed into [i]easily[/i] the best sounding stingray I've ever had my hands on, regardless of who made it.

Why spend £400+ pimping an OLP Tony Levin?? Well, as I say, it was a gift from my missus, and I'm a big time Tony Levin fan, so why not eh?

Over the moon with them both. Jaw dropping tones and they play themselves, very very happy.

Absolutely lovely - both of them. The Kinal looks to be superbly built with fantastic attention to detail and some lovely features. The OLP is also very smart, and I for one think it's worth spending a few quid to improve a good quality but relatively inexpensive bass (especially a bass bought by a wife/partner!)

No mate, the strings are EB Super Slinkys. My tech has had them on and off a couple of times while working on the bass. I've used slinkys for years on all my basses, but recently I discovered DR strings, so the Kinal currently has Low Riders on it, and the OLP will end up, probably, with High Beams on it.

Yes Al, I have to be careful not to tempt fate with all the trading I've done in the last couple of years, but these are better than I could've hoped. The Kinal is perfect for me, in every way, I love it, even more than the Overwater. The OLP is the biggest surprise. I guess with the work done on it, it [i]should[/i] sound great, and it doesn't disappoint.

I'll bring them both next Wednesday if we're still on for that.

[quote name='Rayman' post='554713' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:54 AM']No mate, the strings are EB Super Slinkys. My tech has had them on and off a couple of times while working on the bass. I've used slinkys for years on all my basses, but recently I discovered DR strings, so the Kinal currently has Low Riders on it, and the OLP will end up, probably, with High Beams on it.

Yes Al, I have to be careful not to tempt fate with all the trading I've done in the last couple of years, but these are better than I could've hoped. The Kinal is perfect for me, in every way, I love it, even more than the Overwater. The OLP is the biggest surprise. I guess with the work done on it, it [i]should[/i] sound great, and it doesn't disappoint.

I'll bring them both next Wednesday if we're still on for that.[/quote]

Yep - looking forward to next Wednesday mate. :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='556629' date='Jul 30 2009, 09:49 PM']Very nice indeed! Is that Kinal the one eubassix was selling recently?[/quote]

Sure is, I just wish I could've had the fretless off him too.