Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Sound

alexclaber

Right, I do believe I've finally made some decisions regarding a badass wee multi-purpose PA speaker. It will be a compact 3-way design, using a high-excursion 12" woofer, a very high-sensitivity 6.5" midrange and a rather nice horn tweeter. Approximate size should be 24" high x 13.5" wide x 13.5" deep. Approximate weight should be under 35lbs. So that's 600mm x 340mm x 340mm. Best used with an amp that puts out 500-1000W per channel into 8 ohms.

To get absolute maximum output the cabs should be used with a Crown XTi, for which I will be writing a model specific DSP profile with EQ/compression/filtering, but even with a generic power amp with no EQ they will exhibit smooth extended response and very high max SPL with low distortion. I can certainly provide patches for other outboard or intergrated DSPs.

The aim is for a pair of these cabs to have enough output and bottom for smaller gigs without any subs being required, to be used as wide-dispersion stage monitors, and to be used in conjunction with subwoofers and extension cabs for larger gigs.

They won't be cheap but they will be very very good.

Alex

I'd like to talk about the proposed PA system Alex, 1 sub and a pair of mid/tops. :)

How far are you off having a finished product and what is the price? We (the band) are in the process of looking at a new system and will likely as not be reaching some form of decision on passive v active in the near future.

Cheers.

Quite a long way off at the moment. Although I'm pretty set on what I'm going to do regarding the components, tuning, dimensions, I have get to get into the details of the crossover design. Costs-wise, I'd expect it to be in the region of £1500 for a pair of fullrange 3-way speakers, though I might do some discounted introductory prices to get the ball rolling in that market. When it comes to subwoofers I'm still working through the ideas. Probably going to go with a dual 12" direct radiator model that is suitable for bands and DJs, and then a single 12" horn which is better for install or large PAs (because you need lots of them or a guaranteed corner/wall position to get the benefits from the horn).

Regarding passive vs active, the lower echelons of the market seem to all be plastic and active whilst the better gear is plywood and passive with outboard DSP etc. The latter approach is certainly more versatile.

One thing I hope to achieve with these is actually have a small pair of cabs that can really whomp without a separate subwoofer! How satisfying would it be as a function band to take such a small simple PA with you and get better sound than you did with those plastic tops and a subwoofer that weighed a ton?

Alex