Why become a member? ×

WAL BASS for sale

Nice looking bass though your link isn't working at the moment. From the user name I guess it's [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAL-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ290334384877"]this[/url] one - not that there are a lot of Wal Custom 4's on ebay at the moment :)

Edit: and the fact that it's the same serial number :rolleyes:

Edited by bythesea

I'm almost 100% certain that used to be mine before it was stolen from me in 1987! For nothing more than sentimentalty's sake, I'm going to contact Paul at Wal to see if he can check in the book for me..

I bought in 1983 from a long-since defunct music shop in Barnet, London and it was my first ever Wal.. Did a few tours with it and then it was stolen from a rehearsal studio called Prime Time in London Bridge where we were based.. Turned out the guy who did the break in was Dexy's Midnight Runner's drummer and though he was nicked, we never got any of our gear back!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='555122' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:32 PM']I'm almost 100% certain that used to be mine before it was stolen from me in 1987! For nothing more than sentimentalty's sake, I'm going to contact Paul at Wal to see if he can check in the book for me..

I bought in 1983 from a long-since defunct music shop in Barnet, London and it was my first ever Wal.. Did a few tours with it and then it was stolen from a rehearsal studio called Prime Time in London Bridge where we were based.. Turned out the guy who did the break in was Dexy's Midnight Runner's drummer and though he was nicked, we never got any of our gear back!![/quote]

I think we should have a whip around and buy it back for you :0)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='555122' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:32 PM']I'm almost 100% certain that used to be mine before it was stolen from me in 1987! For nothing more than sentimentalty's sake, I'm going to contact Paul at Wal to see if he can check in the book for me..

I bought in 1983 from a long-since defunct music shop in Barnet, London and it was my first ever Wal.. Did a few tours with it and then it was stolen from a rehearsal studio called Prime Time in London Bridge where we were based.. Turned out the guy who did the break in was Dexy's Midnight Runner's drummer and though he was nicked, we never got any of our gear back!![/quote]

Seems to be a theme with Dexys. My mum remembers coming hone from a gig with them one night (uncle was a mate) and sitting idly in the van waiting to elave with her brother, when one of them came running out with an amp shouting 'Lets Go!! Now!!'. Turned out the amp was from another band on the bill.

Anyway - back to topic.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='555122' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:32 PM']I'm almost 100% certain that used to be mine before it was stolen from me in 1987! For nothing more than sentimentalty's sake, I'm going to contact Paul at Wal to see if he can check in the book for me..[/quote]

If it is the stolen one why not pursue it and claim it back? Even if it ws 20yrs ago? Wot does the law think?

BB

Thanks guys!!

As far as the law goes, I think if you've been paid out by the insurance company (and we were), then you forfeit you claim of ownership on the stolen item.. Not sure about that exactly, but it would make sense if you think about it.

I'm waiting for a reply to an email from Paul and will also check to see if i have the original receipt somewhere..

That's funny about the Dexys!! And then again, it's not...

Nig; plenty of memories about both Clink & Terminal.. :) Prime Time was on the 3rd floor of the same building as Clink IIRC..

The insurance company will have a claim on it. Sadly if a whole chain of people have bought this bass for a fair price in good faith then a lot of people have a claim to it and it's probably best left in my experience unless you want an expensive court case. These issues are far from straightforward.

One of my basses is a special edition purchased without a case or certificate from 'Crack-Converters'. Both I and the previous owner carried out our own checks to try and ascertain if it was stolen and came up with nowt. What more can you do?.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='555430' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:48 PM']The insurance company will have a claim on it. Sadly if a whole chain of people have bought this bass for a fair price in good faith then a lot of people have a claim to it and it's probably best left in my experience unless you want an expensive court case. These issues are far from straightforward.

One of my basses is a special edition purchased without a case or certificate from 'Crack-Converters'. Both I and the previous owner carried out our own checks to try and ascertain if it was stolen and came up with nowt. What more can you do?.[/quote]
Hi Peter

Thanks for that explanation..that's pretty much how it is. My interest is purely one of nostalgic curiosity rather than wanting to get into any impossible to prove claim.. As you say, a lot of people will have owned this bass and bought it in good faith (over the last 22 years or so since it was stolen) and therefore, have not done anything wrong.

Nik