Why become a member? ×

Could be amp or bass issue...electrical buzzing

Musicman20

Electrical Buzzing from Bass

Hi Guys

This used to be an issue for me quite a while back in certain practice rooms and gigs.

I have just bought Geoff’s HS410, (originally Toasted’s) for a great price.

I got it home, gave it a quick clean and made sure I knew how to remove the casters etc.

Anyway, great condition can’t wait to use it properly. I need to be much more precise with my finger style as this cab reproduces everything very accurately.

However, I did plug my LM3 into a different socket than I normally do, and I only used my old MIJ Fender Precision. I had that annoying ‘buzzing’ whenever I took my hands off the string etc. Normally, when I try gear out in that room, I use the surge protector that the TV uses. This time I was only giving it a quick check over so I didn’t bother. Obviously when I tried the horn a little higher, and realised it was quite a sweet clear and un-harsh horn, the buzzing got a little louder. Again its only when you take your hands off the metal parts of the bass.

I’m assuming it’s either the socket or the old Bass? Is it anything to worry about? Nothing cab wise im guessing?

Thanks guys!

I would say it's most likely to be the instrument being poorly earthed (you are earthing it by touching the strings). Ensure there is good connection between the bridge earth wire, any shielding in the cavity and the back of the pots to the earth connection on the output jack.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='552604' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:36 AM']I had that annoying ‘buzzing’ whenever I took my hands off the string etc.[/quote]That's normal. With high impedance pickups you must be touching either the bridge or the strings for high frequency noise to be shunted.

[quote name='Wil' post='552627' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:51 PM']I would say it's most likely to be the instrument being poorly earthed (you are earthing it by touching the strings). Ensure there is good connection between the bridge earth wire, any shielding in the cavity and the back of the pots to the earth connection on the output jack.[/quote]

Yeh it sounds like you need to check the bass is earthed properly.

Thant kind of buzz it a way of life with passive basses.

Out of interest, where have you got the horn set?

The horn in the HS410 is INCREDIBLY lively. I have it rolled almost off on my HS210s. If you've got the knob dialled to 'normal' levels, you're probably hearing the buzz far more than you're used to.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='552691' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:57 PM']Thant kind of buzz it a way of life with passive basses.

Out of interest, where have you got the horn set?

The horn in the HS410 is INCREDIBLY lively. I have it rolled almost off on my HS210s. If you've got the knob dialled to 'normal' levels, you're probably hearing the buzz far more than you're used to.[/quote]

Hey

Yeah at first it was set on 'normal'....half way ish....I tried it quite high and it is in no way harsh or piercing...just sweet! But I dont need it that high. I will roll it back a little below the middle setting and see what we get.

I remember this bass buzzing a few years back, so Ive probably just not noticed for a while!.

Thanks! I cant wait to start gigging this Berg.