Why become a member? ×

Do very low gauge strings inevitably mean high action?

Clarky

I am forever swapping strings on my Ps and J. Currently settled on D'Addario Chromes (like TI Flats but smoother and more tension) on 2 of 3 basses and kept the TI Flats on my 70RI.

I have a set of TI Roundwounds which have very low gauge - the E is only 89 and the G 43. Was thinking rounds would probably suit the Jazz tonal options better than Chromes. To my my small brain the lower the gauge of any given string (eg the E) the looser the string must be to be in tune. In turn does this not mean the amplitude of vibration will be larger and - getting to my point - the action would thus have to be higher to avoid buzzing? In other words if I put the TI Rounds on my Jazz will I have to sacrifice the currently good/low action I have with Chromes to avoid buzzes and rattles? Or is my logic all wrong?

Thx for advice in advance

Edited by Clarky

Well, just wasted an hour swapping over the flats to TI Jazz roundwounds and cannot for the life of me get the action anywhere near what I would like. Buzzy, thin, slippy things. Yuk. Have already swapped back. Don't know if that actually answers my question - could just be my incompetence.

if you're changing to lower gauge strings that have a lower tension, it also means theres less pull on the neck, so there will be less bow/relief in the neck. this makes it more likely that your strings will start buzzing, so you need to also consider tweaking your truss rod to keep the same relief on the the neck.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='553200' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:01 PM']if you're changing to lower gauge strings that have a lower tension, it also means theres less pull on the neck, so there will be less bow/relief in the neck. this makes it more likely that your strings will start buzzing, so you need to also consider tweaking your truss rod to keep the same relief on the the neck.[/quote]
Yep, most of my time was spent tweaking the truss rod but got no joy :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='553207' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:06 PM']Yep, most of my time was spent tweaking the truss rod but got no joy :)[/quote]

well, the only thing I can add is that it may take more that a few hours for the neck to settle after you have tweaked it... how much were you turning the t/r ?

[quote name='Gwilym' post='555632' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:48 PM']well, the only thing I can add is that it may take more that a few hours for the neck to settle after you have tweaked it... how much were you turning the t/r ?[/quote]
I know that it is usually best to leave the truss rod to settle overnight but I find I can usually get a good idea of what action I can achieve by turning the TR so that the gap between 8th fret and string on the 'E' - with the string depressed at first and last fret - is about 1mm. In this case, it would only work if I turned the TR about half a turn (more than I would usually do) and raised the bridge saddles a fair amount - otherwise buzzing set in.

I have subsequently put a 'normal' type gauge of rounds on the Jazz (45-105) and have got the action nice and low. Upshot is I have a set of TI Rounds I won't be using again!

Thanks for your replies Gwilym - hope all's well

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='557393' date='Jul 31 2009, 07:58 PM']I have wondered about this but don't [i]believe[/i] it to be the case- surely if you are correct lighter strings would be louder, since amplitude= volume?

I do stand to be corrected however... :)[/quote]

Going via magnets though, the amount the string disturbs the field is dependant on mass moving through that field.