Why become a member? ×

Aching sense of loss. Selling gear...we have to, though, right?

JimBobTTD

I just watched a smiling gentleman walk out of my home with [s]my[/s] his Ibanez bass.

We had a nice time - he came over, plugged in to my rig (which sounded GREAT) and noodled a bit. He's a guitarist, and this is his first bass, so he gave it back to me to hear me play it. We then talked about basses, about guitars, about music and all that. He gave me some money.

It's not that I regret it, not at all. I have a different bass, and the one he has taken had not been used in months. On top of that, I find myself more comfortable with five strings, and that one had four. But it was once my number one bass. We played together in my last ([i]very[/i] short-lived) band.

Ibanez SRX-500: Enjoy your new life with Sebastian. We had fun together. And you have helped offset the costs of the new Ibanez SR1205 which is on the way. So, thanks for that. Bye.

I don't think i'll ever sell my Warwick Corvette. My first top class bass, it can do almost any sound i've ever asked of it. Pretty much fully retired now, bares lots of little marks and gouges from many nights of semi-drunken gigging. I'm sort of glad it's only worth about £300, otherwise GAS would strike and i might consider selling it!

There's only two basses I regret selling - firstly, there was my "pseudo-Sei" - this was made by Chris McIntyre back when he worked at The Gallery, from a neck-through body blank from Brandoni. It ended up with a totally reshaped body and neck (my design), a flat transparent black finish, a Bartolini MME pickup and Schack circuit and a Kahler trem. I loved that bass. It felt great and had a very unique sound. It also got me through some very low periods in my life, but I ended up having to sell it to get me through a particularly low period. I wish I could track it down, if it's still out there somewhere.

The other one was my custom GB - the tone didn't quite work for me, but I miss it because it was no normal GB - it had a custom body shape (based on the design of the pseudo-Sei), a redesigned headstock (to accommodate two Hipshots) and various other tweaks to the typical Rumour design. I miss it, but apparently Bernie still has the design we came up with, so making another one sometime in the future isn't out of the question.

If anyone sees either of these basses for sale, please let me know! :)

The GB:

The "pseudo-Sei":

Basses are a bit like women, good while it lasts but you don't want to dwell on it once they are out of your life and you know they've got someone else running their hands over them. God I'm starting to sound like Swiss Tony now...