Why become a member? ×

Encore P-Bass Natural Finish

silentbob

Does anybody remember a version of the Encore P-Bass released about thirteen years ago which featured a natural wood body, gold hardware, and (i think) a red tortoiseshell pickguard. I'm pretty sure they were a limited run of about 500. I do remember reading a review of one in a bass magazine from around that time and i've tried searching the net ect, but can't find any info. I'd really like to track one down as this was the first bass i ever owned, and even though it was an Encore, i loved it to bits. Does anybody has any info on one, or a copy of the magazine review? Cheers, Rob

[quote name='Musky' post='542667' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:07 PM']I remember a review of that in Bassist - quite well reviewed if memory serves correctly. I'll still have it about and see if I can dig it out.[/quote]

That's it, Bassist magazine. Seem to recall it had only been running for a few issues when they did the review.

[quote name='Musky' post='543279' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:05 PM']Here you go.

[attachment=29095:Encore_e83.jpg] [attachment=29096:Encore_e83_2.jpg][attachment=29097:Encore_e83_3.jpg]

Not quite as positive a review as I thought, but still... :)[/quote]

Top man Musky. All i need to do now is find one for sale.

• 2 years later...

My First Bass was a Red Encore Precision....which i stripped down and was made of 3 parts of solid wood not ply....but believe me it did the job i played in a rock n roll band at the time and it really sounded the bizz....i payed £50 for it and was the best £50 i'd ever spent it had a lovely warm fat tone....played thro' an old Carlsbro' Viper 90w Combo....still wish i had it to be honest....i think it was passed around a bit before i got it which was mid 90s....quite heavy with a nice playable neck, rosewood fretboard and retro precision headstock....so yeah was well chuffed with mine.....same with an old columbus precision i had too....a limited budget as always restricted me to low end basses....but i've coped....somehow....got a squier cv jazz at mo'.

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1333917125' post='1608294']
My First Bass was a Red Encore Precision....which i stripped down and was made of 3 parts of solid wood not ply....but believe me it did the job i played in a rock n roll band at the time and it really sounded the bizz....i payed £50 for it and was the best £50 i'd ever spent it had a lovely warm fat tone....played thro' an old Carlsbro' Viper 90w Combo....still wish i had it to be honest....i think it was passed around a bit before i got it which was mid 90s....quite heavy with a nice playable neck, rosewood fretboard and retro precision headstock....so yeah was well chuffed with mine.....same with an old columbus precision i had too....a limited budget as always restricted me to low end basses....but i've coped....somehow....got a squier cv jazz at mo'.
[/quote]

Sorry Guyz Wrong thread meant to post on other encore related thread....Doh.

• 6 years later...
On 16/07/2009 at 20:42, silentbob said:

Does anybody remember a version of the Encore P-Bass released about thirteen years ago which featured a natural wood body, gold hardware, and (i think) a red tortoiseshell pickguard. I'm pretty sure they were a limited run of about 500. I do remember reading a review of one in a bass magazine from around that time and i've tried searching the net ect, but can't find any info. I'd really like to track one down as this was the first bass i ever owned, and even though it was an Encore, i loved it to bits. Does anybody has any info on one, or a copy of the magazine review? Cheers, Rob

Blast from the past. Funnily enough when I bought my 2nd bass (blue Yamaha TRB6 - Japanese built,which I let go many years later and regret, that is the one I want back and frequently search online for) I gave this to my niece. Maybe 15 years ago?! It's been gathering dust so they've just said they are bringing it back to me today. Can't wait to give it a play for old times sake as I've been solely fretless (GWB35) for past 6 years or so.

Anyone know what issue of bassist that review was in?

It's here. Number 4 of 300 (not 500).  And of course 1994, I got it for my 14th birthday when I wanted to play from Chappells music in Milton Keynes when I couldn't play a thing.

Needs a setup, has a few scratchplate screws missing and some new strings wouldn't go amiss. I'll likely upgrade the pickups at some point too. It's still great to play, very comfortable and fast neck. Can confirm its heavy, but that solid feeling translates throughout. Man I've missed this bass. It's no Moollon but easier to get another bass into the house by gifting than purchase :)

Excuse the stickers from old band, they'll be coming off imminently.

IMG_20181226_132112.jpg

IMG_20181226_132103.jpg

• 2 weeks later...