Why become a member? ×

Question For Jaguar Owners

spongebob

I've just got myself a Jaguar in Red - the colour I've always wanted!

As a former - and still slight - Rickenbacker nut, I'm amazed at the 'out of the box' quality and growl of the Japanese Fenders have. I never had Ric without issues.

The Jag sounds awesome, plays great, and what a price for it! You can get a real 4003 type-sound (obviously with the Jag twist) - and I've had some to compare it to! :)

Question is, how long does the battery normally last?

With the pre-amp off, does it still soak the juice, or is it only taken when the option is switched on?

I was just trying to gain an idea if players keep a spare for gigging - ie if you use the pre-amp all the time, how is the battery use, and do you get any warning signs when you are getting low?

Any other Jag advice on sound, how to achieve certain tones, etc., gladly received. I can see why some pro's use these, they are so versatile, and look amazing! :rolleyes:

Well the batteries can last anywhere from 6 weeks to year, but really I think average is about 3 months + or -. I believe that whenever the lead is attached the battery is engaged, thats how it works with active basses anyway. However with Active/Passive setups I'm not 100% sure. Just make sure to unplug the bass whenever not in use. And if the battery dies while your playing just switch it to passive and nudge your amps volume up a bit.

The preamp is always on, the switch just takes it out of circuit. When you go passive the preamp stays turned on so you dont get big thumps or squeltching noises when you go back to active. It still 'soaks up the juice' but a little less than when its not active. Like Grissle says always unplug when not using it and always carry a spare battery. Youll know when its dying if you hear distortion or fizzy sounding when using the preamp but theres no warning really.

Edited by Spartacus

Once again, thanks for that. Good to know, don't want to cut out in the middle of a gig!

Any other advice on tones, etc, would be great. There seems to be a mass of options!

I did hear that you can achieve a nice precision-esque tone - what settings would I need for that? Pre amp, etc.

I've been doing some experimenting, and already discovered some really nice sounds which I'll be gigging with ASAP!!

For a P bass'ish sound simply run in passive mode with the series switch in the up/on position

BTW I have a Red Jag as well
Here's a link to my Jaguar you might want to check out

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=52960&view=findpost&p=526224"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=526224[/url]

The battery in mine lasted about 6 months, using it for about 10 hrs a week at a guestimate. It went quiet and kind of farty all of a sudden.

I quite like the bridge pup in active mode and with switched to the series position at the moment, but I do tend change my mind every week or so.

Edited by Paul S