Why become a member? ×

STATUS S2 Circa 1989 **SOLD**

dodgnofski

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='544468' date='Jul 19 2009, 03:07 AM']Hmm, think I upset some Status-lovers. I meant to be nice about the seller's instrument, I quite like it in a nostalgic sort-of way, although I'm not a potential customer. But I still think people who buy things like the Streamline are off their heads. That's maybe the ugliest bass I've ever seen.[/quote]

Your opinion is yours and you have every right to say that. I used to feel the same way about the Streamline until I got the chance to actually play one and its what I call the `Bongo' syndrome. Again, I thought it (Bongo) looked like a heap of doggie doos until I put my prejudice aside, picked one up and played it - both instruments play very well and sound superb, even if they are not great lookers!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='544468' date='Jul 19 2009, 03:07 AM']............... But I still think people who buy things like the Streamline are off their heads........[/quote]

:) did you mean that one?

I would have real trouble buying an ugly bass regardless how well it played but mebbe
i'm just shallow.

BB

Luckily I think this Status is gorgeous but not the Streamline - i have a big picture of one on my studio wall to try and convince myself into getting one as i cant find a nice XL2.

Edited by BarnacleBob

Excuse me for butting into an ongoing argument - I mean debate - but aren't basses made to be played? I love posing with my gear as much as the next person, and I do understand the appeal of holding a dropdead gorgeous instrument that draws gasps from onlookers... but who else is gonna see it when you're in an orchestra pit, for example, or a recording studio? Not much point in a bass that looks like a million dollars and sounds like plywood and rubber bands. Happy to be wrong though - wouldn't be the first time! :)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='544503' date='Jul 19 2009, 09:20 AM']....Not much point in a bass that looks like a million dollars and sounds like plywood and rubber bands...[/quote]
Good point, although in the same vein, plywood bodied basses can actually sound ok. But as you rightly suggested, rubber bands never truly deliver and most attempts to string a bass with them would be an error and could easily result in having someone's eye out.
:)

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='544502' date='Jul 19 2009, 09:18 AM']:) did you mean that one?

I would have real trouble buying an ugly bass regardless how well it played but mebbe
i'm just shallow.

BB

Luckily I think this Status is gorgeous but not the Streamline - i have a big picture of one on my studio wall to try and convince myself into getting one as i cant find a nice XL2.[/quote]

You never got back to me Bob! (re XL-2) xxx

Thanks for the 'bump' Bob,

did I mention 'in passing' the war - oops sorry! I meant to say that this bass has the lowest, playable action I've ever seen on 'any' bass - Headed, headless, graphite or wooden??

sorry for mentioning - I mean 'starting' a war - 'I thought I got away with it' :)

Let's face it - no 'one' type, or 'make' of bass is 'superior' over ALL others - (I think that's how 'the war' started)! - bugger - mentioned it again - sorry! At the end of the (very long) day it's all down to personal choice & preference - we'd all be in real trouble if there was only 'one' make or type of 'best bass' in the world - there wouldn't be enough to go around for all us greedy 'fat-wires' - (That was 'fat- wire' - NOT - 'fat - wa' - bugger - that was close)!

thanks to everyone for their interest, hoping to hang on to this 'work of art' forever - if not a bit longer :rolleyes:

my main reason for liking (not 'prefering' - phew close again)! - headless basses is they 'seem' to stay in tune forever, which is a godsend to a 'cloth-eared old bint' like me!

Hari Krishna,

cheers,

Tim

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='545990' date='Jul 21 2009, 08:22 AM']Tuesday bump for a cracking bass

BB[/quote]

Edited by dodgnofski

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='544468' date='Jul 19 2009, 03:07 AM']Hmm, think I upset some Status-lovers. I meant to be nice about the seller's instrument, I quite like it in a nostalgic sort-of way, although I'm not a potential customer. But I still think people who buy things like the Streamline are off their heads. That's maybe the ugliest bass I've ever seen.[/quote]

The looks - they do polarise people. I must be off my head but after an hour playing one I had to buy one.
Your comment is only an opinion and obviously an ill informed and poorly researched one,

Boomshanka, Mart.

By the way - love the S2 - wish I had the cash for this 'proper' Status.

I love headless Status basses ( + the T-bass and also Steinys) but I really,really didnt like the look of the Streamline at all.
The big attraction for me is the compactness.
It could be said its just an XL knock off with Rob trying to put his own spin on it.

I would be hard pushed to choose between this and a little streamline so it is gowing on me I suppose.

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

• 3 months later...

Pre - xmas Bumpity - Bump!

Go on - treat yourself...........you know Sir want's it :)

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='561121' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:26 PM']Why is there so much lovely graphite floating about.....................

BB[/quote]