Why become a member? ×

Summertime, whats the chords?

Raslee

Ello folks, i'm not particularly jazzy but have been asked to do Summertime this weekend in A...i think the verse groove i'm kinda doing is something around A, B then C and back to B (In a kind of Moondance vibe), however i have no idea for the chords on the 'Fish are jumpin bit' and the 'Hush little baby'...i basically need a blaggers guide to the chords if that makes sense...the rest i'll funk up! :)
Any help always appreciated!

There are other variations on the second four bars but they are only substitutions using cycle of fifths so, if you are not a jazzer and trying this for the first time, I'd stick to Doddy's changes.

Also, for you Moondance bit, try A, C, B, E intead of A, B, C, B as it resolves more naturally and is a bit more interesting. Just an opinion.

PS Moondance is probably the worst record ever. If you want to know what jazz is about DON'T use that as a guide :)

If you want to get somewhere near the original "Porgy and Bess" version try this:

Slow tempo
||: Am7 / E7 / | Am7 / E7 / | Am7 / E7 / | Am7 / E7 Am7 |

Dm7 / F6 / | Dm7 / / F7 | E7 / B7 / | E7 / E7+ / |

Am7 / E7 / | Am7 / E7 / | Am7 / E7 / | Am7 / D9 / |

C / Am7 / | F7 / E7 / | Am7 / E7 / | Am7 / Bm7b5 E7 :||

There are many different possible variations on this chord sequence but this is near enough to the original.

The Major

Who are you playing it with? What matters is not all the possible ways [i]Summertime[/i] can be played (... and, if you wanted a song where the answer is "it depends", you picked a good one with countless reharmonisations available!) but how the group of you are choosing to recreate it.

The simplest version I ever did boiled down to:

[code]Am | Am | Am | Am |
Dm | Dm | E7 | E7 |
Am | Am | Am | Am |
Dm | E7 | Am | Am |[/code]

Under the minor chords, I played a simple 1 2 b3 5 riff (A B C E or D E F A) and used the chords I've marked as E7 to put in little turnarounds. It's possible those weren't the chords everyone else was playing but provided a suitable (and simple) structure for me to hang it on.

The version I played most recently, in a more advanced jazz setting, had all sorts of "weird sh*t" going on and sounded wonderful but a) I can't remember it off the top of my head and :) to make the most of it the whole group would need to be singing off the same hymn sheet...

Wulf