Why become a member? ×

Harmonic troubles- New problem!

Tait

Ok, I'm trying to lear amazing grace by victor wooten. I'll never be able to play it properly but I'm bored and i fance a challenge.

On all of the tabs I see for it, there is a harmonic note 3.2

If anyone knows how I would play that, please help me out here. Its not good trying to learn a song and getting stuck on the second bar.

Heres the link to the tab I'm using, but there are many more similar tabs on the internet all using the 3.2 harmonics:

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/v/victor_wooten/amazing_grace_btab.htm"]Amazing Grace[/url]

EDIT: I've got a new problem now, I've written about it below

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='lwtait' post='57196' date='Sep 7 2007, 08:45 PM']Ok, I'm trying to lear amazing grace by victor wooten. I'll never be able to play it properly but I'm bored and i fance a challenge.

On all of the tabs I see for it, there is a harmonic note 3.2

If anyone knows how I would play that, please help me out here. Its not good trying to learn a song and getting stuck on the second bar.

Heres the link to the tab I'm using, but there are many more similar tabs on the internet all using the 3.2 harmonics:

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/v/victor_wooten/amazing_grace_btab.htm"]Amazing Grace[/url][/quote]

it's because not all harmonics lie directly above the fret, so aim slightly further up the neck than the 3rd fret to get the harmonic

OK, new problem.

Halfway through victor wooten starts playing chords. They have the root as a normal note then the fifth and octave as harmonics. How would I go about playing these? Is the only reason I can't do it without muting the harmoincs that my 14 year old fingers are too small?

Also, thanks for the help with my last problem, I can now play the amazing grace bit.

Hi. What you'll need to do for those is arch your index finger slightly so that it doesn't touch the D and G strings and stop the harmonics. You may also be laying your finger down a little too hard on the harmonics or leaving it there too long maybe?

You may to place your thumb on the back of the neck rather than near the top ( if you don't already) and maybe even shift it a little lower so it's nearer the lower edge to get your index finger clear.

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Alun

Thanks for that! Its been a help, but I'm still having problems with it. For a start I'm struggling to fret the note with one finger and play harmonics with another, i seem to only be able to do one or the other. Can I solve that by just practising or is there something I need to do to solve that?

Playing chords combining fretted notes and harmonics is weird at first as you're applying two different amounts of pressure - one finger string enough to fret a note, the other barely touching the string to get the harmonics. Try fretting the low note first then, while holding that finger down, lightly bring the harmonic finger into place. Eventually, you'll get used to the required pressures and it'll become second nature.

I haven't tried to play that piece in a while but think I used my forefinger for the fretted notes and little finger for the harmonics which I guess is what you're doing too.

Cheers,
Alun

remember when combining fretted and harmonics that you need to arch oyur fingers so they arent damping the strings, harmonics need to ring both between you finger and the bridge and finger and nut.
mid boost, strong fingers, playing nearer the bridge and a load of practice are all you need other than that

also, correct me if I am wrong, but was Amazing grace not played on a tenor (ADGC)???

Edited by d-basser

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Nate' post='70013' date='Oct 5 2007, 01:50 PM']Try Portriat of Tracy. That'll sort your harmonics out...!

Amazing Grace is a fun one to play though. Sliding harmonics is great![/quote]

Portrait of Tracy is definitely harder - I've tried to learn both of these tunes - the thing that is very hard with Wooten's Amazing Grace is playing the synchopated version as funkily as he does - he just doesn't stop grooving like a monster - and for the record you can play this tune on a regular four string - and Tenor tuned bass - if you have his excellent Bass Day 98 DVD he plays it on his Yin Yang bass on that. Victor makes a lot of very hard stuff look very easy - but that's becuase he practiced like a nutter for years before he ever became famous. His starting point for harmonics was Portrait Of Tracy - he says this on the 'extras' on the aforementioned DVD - well worth getting if you are going through (what I like to call) "Your Wooten Phase" - don't worry I went through mine a few years ago :) - I've moved on to other things since...

Good luck

M