Why become a member? ×

Flea bass

bassmeg

I am looking to maybe oflfoad my 78 jazz and get a more versitile bass. I have certainly not convinced myself yet. I have quite a few basses that take my fancy.

Heard a Lakland 55/02 live and it sounded awesome.
Lakland DJ.
Theres a shuker 4 going on this site for less than £1k.
Ive always fancied a stingray, white or red with maple neck.
Sadowsky

But, looking at a couple of flea basses for sale on here made me think more about these. Are they as good as listed above? Or would i just be paying more for the connection to Mr Flea?

So what would you do with £1k and all these choices. Would a Flea allow me to steal some of the guitarists limelight down the pub on a friday night?

Just had a thought, maybe i should just put a j retro in my jazz.

Edited by bassmeg

[quote name='bassmeg' post='540697' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:53 PM']I am looking to maybe oflfoad my 78 jazz and get a more versitile bass.[/quote]

Are you looking for more varied or versatile sound, or are you just bored.....?

If you wanna have more adapatabilty but otherwis the 78 J is your thing, get a decent pre-amp, pups and bridge and keep the same J.

Who's to say just because it cost £1k that it will make the sound your after?

You will be gobsmacked how much pimping gear you could get for that grand......?

Maybe even a rig update as well as bass pimping.....

Just my contribution FWIW.... :)

[quote name='bassmeg' post='540697' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:53 PM']Just had a thought, maybe i should just put a j retro in my jazz.[/quote]

I did that to my '62 Jazz... best thing I ever did... I also had the frets stoned to the tangs. It's an absolute bass monster!

Im after a more versitile bass i think. But i really have no reference point. i have had only 3 basses, 2 jazz and a p. Ive had my 78 quite a while now and a play it every week with a rock/pop covers band. Always with the tone right up, and the eq on my amp boosting the mids and highs quite a lot. I have some wizard pups in at the moment.

I have to use my amp to adjust my sound, which i dont like. I would like a bass that needs more taming! Maybe the answer lies in an onboard pre. Although the sansamp i use doesnt really bring it to life either.

[quote name='bh2' post='540720' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:13 PM']I did that to my '62 Jazz... best thing I ever did... I also had the frets stoned to the tangs. It's an absolute bass monster![/quote]

Ahhh, maybe this is the answer!! This is why the DJ has been so appealing to me.

BTW, you lost me on the stoned fret tangs!?

[quote name='Rowbee' post='540734' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:24 PM']Or you could try a Tone Hammer. :)[/quote]

I thought i knew a fair bit about bass, but one post and i am starting to wonder!

I need to know what a tone hammer is and fret stoning. Never heard of them before, maybe they are just what i need!!!

[quote name='bassmeg' post='540730' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:21 PM']Ahhh, maybe this is the answer!! This is why the DJ has been so appealing to me.

BTW, you lost me on the stoned fret tangs!?[/quote]

Well... it now plays and sounds like a fretless... prob not a choice for rock covers, I'm using it for Drum 'n' Bass.
The J-Retro was/is a revelation.

You might want to try one first.

Edited by bh2

[quote name='bh2' post='540744' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:30 PM']Well... it now plays and sounds like a fretless... prob not a choice for rock covers, I'm using it for Drum 'n' Bass.
The J-Retro was/is a revelation.

You might one to try one first.[/quote]

That looks so good.

Thanks for the new term. That ones a first for me. Although that does seem a bit drastic for a 62 jazz!! I cant make up my mind wheather to refin my badly crazed black jazz let alone grind down the frets.

Ohh, It really does look nice.

if someones selling a Flea they must be mad!!!!

I love the musicman tone. I had a 'ray for about 2 years as my main bass and I loved it to pieces. I then bought a Modulus Flea and adored it. the neck profile is amazing. better then any other neck ive played (never played a status so cant compair but even beats a musicman neck which are IMO ten times better then any fender)

I think its what tone your after that matters the most. altho the flea looks very much like a 'ray in terms of looks/pickups etc. its 18v which makes it quite versatile, but you'd be kidding yourself if you thought you could get a 'ray tone out of it like I did. Its very much its own bass.

its not always about how much the basses cost, its how they suit the tone your after. id suggest getting on youtube and listening to people play with these basses to see if you like them or not. playability wise they are amazing, but if the tones not right for what you want it for its pointless.

I love it to death, there is a thread only from last week saying how much its perfect for me and the amp im using. But after taking delivery of Eudes Shuker. Ive realised that tone suits my playing more then the Flea.

Id suggest playing one and seeing what you think. If your round my area pop in for a coffee n a play.

No hard sell either, im still not 100% sure if I should get rid yet cause the slap tone from the flea is much better then my new purchace.

Chris

[quote name='bassmeg' post='540750' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:36 PM']That looks so good.

Thanks for the new term. That ones a first for me. Although that does seem a bit drastic for a 62 jazz!! I cant make up my mind wheather to refin my badly crazed black jazz let alone grind down the frets.

Ohh, It really does look nice.[/quote]

Thanks for the nice comments... it sounds even better! I'd seriously consider a J-Retro or another onboard pre before letting go of your Jazz.

Edited by bh2

Cheers Chris. I had seen your bass. Thats why started this thread really.

If i was to go for a £1k bass i could not justify keeping mine right now. But then when push comes to shove i just have this niggling feeling that i will at some point regret parting with with my jazz. But then i think if i sold it i could get a much better bass and still have some change!! If Doncaster was not a 4-5 hr drive, id take you up on your generous offer of coffe and a strum. Cheers mate.

Id suggest finding one in a shop, but the chances of that are slim to none, might be worth ringing round some of the larger shops though to see if they have one in to have a play.

Luckyly I had the cash available and bought one not knowing what it sounded like and I was more then impressed. But saying that, I play a lot of RHCP and I love fleas tone so I would love it.

If you have the money spare id say buy one and try it for a while and if it doesnt suit you sell it back on, I do that with a lot of basses on here. think ive gone thru 8 in the last 2 years from this site lol.

Plus if your not into sunburst, that blue sparkle Flea is well sexy!!

[quote name='bassmeg' post='540771' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:59 PM']*in hypnotic style* SELL ME YOUR DUCK DUNN!![/quote]

:)

Its not the Duck Dunn you like. Its the first run of them (about 30). Sunburst with a maple board and gold plate. After that they changed to the rosewood board with block inlays on an 'A' neck and CAR.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='540776' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:05 PM']:)

Its not the Duck Dunn you like. Its the first run of them (about 30). Sunburst with a maple board and gold plate. After that they changed to the rosewood board with block inlays on an 'A' neck and CAR.[/quote]

Oh, gutted.

The sunburst thing, just dont float my boat.

Sorry, Bigthumb and Jobiebass. And we were getting along so well.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='540790' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:13 PM']Dont worry about it, I hate sunburst! I just had to get along with it because it was the only choice. I dont actually mind it now. But a sunburst fender? Id set it on fire, 62" or not. (thats gonna annoy some people, wheres beedster?)[/quote]

Fight, fight!

Although, i think hes of looking for a Flea bass.

[quote name='bassmeg' post='540787' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:11 PM']Oh, gutted.

The sunburst thing, just dont float my boat.

Sorry, Bigthumb and Jobiebass. And we were getting along so well.[/quote]

Don't worry mate, I have no intention to sell it! :)