Why become a member? ×

Truss rod nut stripped...

SkinnyMike

Iv managed to strip the truss rod nut on my MIm Fender jazz with my allen key earlier today whilst adjusting the action.
Needless to say im furious about this, however does anyone know how I could solve this problem without getting a new neck?

For example is it possible to replace the nut easily?
Alternatively iv thought about getting a slighlty wider allen key and a hammer...

Suggestions?

StewMac does a tapered Allan key tool...............

Like most Stewmac special tools, it's horrendously expensive and your family will be repaying it unto the third generation........

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Gripper_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_...d_Wrenches.html[/url]

G.

will the truss rod unscrew and then be replaced by a new one
the idea of a tapered allen key sounds good...
when i worked as a fitter and we broke a tap in a hole we would drill out the tap...and use an extractor tool
this sounds much what a tech could do...
best of luck with such an unfortunate situation

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='542248' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:03 PM']Depending on the nature of the truss rod nut, a guitar tech may be able to remove and replace it- I had it done to one of my basses and it cost all of £10.[/quote]

Ahh this make me feel much more at ease :)

Well I know I can buy a new truss rod nut for a couple of quid which wont be a problem, its just getting the darn stripped nut out thats going to make me go mad!
Ill probably go to BnQ tomorrow and have a look at what they have, hopefully they will provide me with a tapered allen key tool or something similar.

Am I correct in thinking by turning the truss rod nut anti-clockwise enough it will simply unscrew out?

Edited by the_house123

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='542803' date='Jul 17 2009, 12:29 AM']Depending on the design, it might. I believe some are not removable- however, I've no idea how to tell whether it is or not without trying it![/quote]

I had a feeling some would not be removable...
Well if it helps the bass in question is a 1992 MIM Fender jazz, im sure someone will know the specifics about the truss rod nut for this year/model.

I'm pretty sure yours will back out.

The Double-action truss rods work as two threaded rods which work against each other. The tensioning nut is welded to the end of one of the rods......as in my Cirrus!!!

I got round it by drilling a small hole & screwing a self-tapping stainless steel screw into it.

G.

generally i find that the guitars and basses that are most likely to have dual action truss rods are quite "metal" or modern looking, since it's a traditional style bass i doubt it does. You should know anyway because dual action truss rods usually turn anti-clockwise to tighten them up, which is the reverse of normal. I actually sent a guitar back to the person i bought it from once because i turned it clockwise like normal when i stuck some heavy strings on it and it started to bow like crazy. Then they sent me it back and i just had to turn it the other way. Slightly embarrasing i must say.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='542994' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:23 AM']I'm pretty sure yours will back out.
The Double-action truss rods work as two threaded rods which work against each other. The tensioning nut is welded to the end of one of the rods......as in my Cirrus!!!
I got round it by drilling a small hole & screwing a self-tapping stainless steel screw into it.
G[/quote]

i think that type is on my shuker...one rod goes into tension and the other into compression??

i have looked at a lot of sites at these rods and still find them a mystery

:)

I believe the Fender one should just undo,you should order a new truss rod nut from fender though,as they might use some weird screw thread size,by weird,I mean American :)

I have my own truss rod issue to fix,and I knew about it before I handed over £1k for it

Nut snapped clean off,it's gonna require the fretboard off,new (Dual action) truss rod and 2 carbon fibre rods for luck,and then a respray

It's rare though and I love it,even though I can't even string it up yet