Why become a member? ×

About to pull the trigger on this ... (78 Precision)

PapillonIrl

Hi all,

I had all but settled on forking out the cash for a new 2009 USA standard precision in a local shop, when I saw this:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557231"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557231[/url]

I am a fan of Maple necks, and the the retro p-bass-with-flats sound.

Have to call in some favours with a mate of in the US to take delivery and send it on to me, but I think it may be worth it.

Any last minute thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nathan

I had a very heavy Fender USA Deluxe P in natural. I ended up selling it due to it being very uncomfortable. Im not sure of its weight...but 11lbs is a fair bit for a P Bass.

Price doesnt seem so bad.

Have you tested the new 2009 P bass yet? They are much better than I expected. I love my new one!

If you want vintage though....go for one you are 100% on :)

I'd think long and hard about that one.
Despite the prices they are going for these days a lot of mid to late 70s Fenders are pretty awful; heavy, lifeless planks. I wouldn't even consider buying one without trying it first.

If I was going to buy a Fender Precision I'd go for a Japanese one or a newer USA model.

I really don't understand it; not that long ago you couldn't give a 70s Fender away, now the prices have gone through the roof everybody wants one!

Edited by RhysP

Thanks guys, in my haste I must admit I didn't pay attention to the weight.

Normally slightly heavy basses don't bother me, but this is a bit extreme.

I have to say that the 70s lore always seemed justified in my mind as I have played several 70s fenders in studios in Ireland, and they all had something special.

Admittedly these were probably good ones, and this is why all offers to buy them were refused.

I have played one particularly nice 2009 precision in the local shop, and everything about it is just quality.

It's in Oly White / Tort with a rosewood neck, not my first choice of finish...but...it's definitely a really good one and can be paid for in instalments.

Thanks all for clearing the grass-is-greener GAS and helping me to stay with the bird in the hand, (to drunkenly mix metaphors).

Cheers,

Nathan