Why become a member? ×

5-Sring - EADGC tuning?

M-Bass-M

I've previously owned a 5-string bass, and quite frankly I never really saw the point of it. Sure, you can now go down to a low B (and the all important low D), but I seem to find myself coping quite well with only a low E. Also, due to the thickness of the string, I don't think I'd ever find myself playing on say the 8th/10th fret of the B string in preference to the 3rd/5th fret of the E string.

I've also previously owned a 6-string, and again while I didn't make too much use of the low B string, I did find myself using the high C string a lot more - to reach the higher notes, to strum some chords, and to allow me to access higher notes without having to move my hand up the the fretboard.

So my questions are:

- from a technical/contsruction perspective, is there any reason why an EADGC tuning wouldn't work?
- for those of you who own a 6, what value do you get from the low B string?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

[quote name='M-Bass-M' post='537157' date='Jul 10 2009, 12:36 PM']I've previously owned a 5-string bass, and quite frankly I never really saw the point of it. Sure, you can now go down to a low B (and the all important low D), but I seem to find myself coping quite well with only a low E. Also, due to the thickness of the string, I don't think I'd ever find myself playing on say the 8th/10th fret of the B string in preference to the 3rd/5th fret of the E string.

I've also previously owned a 6-string, and again while I didn't make too much use of the low B string, I did find myself using the high C string a lot more - to reach the higher notes, to strum some chords, and to allow me to access higher notes without having to move my hand up the the fretboard.

So my questions are:

- from a technical/contsruction perspective, is there any reason why an EADGC tuning wouldn't work?
- for those of you who own a 6, what value do you get from the low B string?

Thanks in advance,

Mark[/quote]

As far as I'm aware EADGC tuning is fine on a 5 string, I believe there's people who already do this. I cant see it creating any technical problems in fact without the big fat B string will probably be less hard on the neck, obviously you'd probably have to make adjustments to the setup, e.g. truss rod etc. Only main problem I could think of would be the nut as obviously you E string would go where your B string would of been and the gap for the string in the neck may be wider with it being designed for a B and obviously the same all the way down for the other strings if that makes sense.

What ape said - with a proper set-up, I can't see how there would be any structural problems.

As for a 6-string...first of all, no, I do not play one. A while ago I was in a shop and there was a 5er there which someone - I assume it was the previous owner - had tuned it DEADG, using two E strings for the D and E. If you got a 6-string, you could tune it similarly (DEADGC), and then get the C string but keeping the all important low D, whilst not using a thick B string. I don't quite see the point, though. Still, there are options!

I have some fives and a six.

2 fives are "regular" BEADG
1 (The fretless) is EADGC as I think it works better with a Fretless than BEADG
1 is EAD, using every other saddle and nut slot! Works a treat for slap and most other stuff as long as you're ahppy to venture up the neck sometimes.
The six is BEADGC.

A good compromise for a 5 might also be DGCFBb covers the Low "D" and keeps your fretting positions intact. You might want to use heavier gauge strings to keep the tension up a bit...

Thanks for the replies.

Lfalex - I like your compromise suggestion. Would confuse the hell out of me at first, having to remember that it's NOT an A string that you're playing, but I guess you could get used to it!

A more serious consideration is the price difference between a 5-string and a 6-string...go on, spend that bit extra. You know you want to :)

I modded a tired bolt-on Rick copy into a 5 string and added an EMG 35DC pickup. I had it tuned EADGC initially until I realised that I don't use the C. It did take me another 3 6 strings for it to filter through to my brain though.

Practically impossible to slap but nice, tight spacing for fast maneuveres

Edited by Delberthot