Why become a member? ×

Warwick Dolphin

BarnacleBob

I have a NT Dolphin and while it is a great bass playability and soundwise - lots of scope given only 2 stacked controls -
the output level is way below my other basses, even passive ones!
I can crank up my PJ briefcase all the way in me little home studio to get a nice level but if i leave the levels and switch to the Status T bass that nearly blows me speakers out.

Any Ideas?

checked battery and if any adjustment in cavity (a la Wals) but nothing

BB

I concur. The MEC 2 band in my Warwick Thumb BO when EQ'd flat is quieter than the passive Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders in my Precision. There's a fair amount of boost available by turning up the bass and treble knobs, but that might not be the best sound coming from the bass. If you're after a hotter signal then you'll be after a replacement pre-amp or some kind of gain pedal between the bass and amp.

[quote name='peted' post='537136' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:54 AM']I concur. The MEC 2 band in my Warwick Thumb BO when EQ'd flat is quieter than the passive Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders in my Precision. There's a fair amount of boost available by turning up the bass and treble knobs, but that might not be the best sound coming from the bass. If you're after a hotter signal then you'll be after a replacement pre-amp or some kind of gain pedal between the bass and amp.[/quote]

I usually put it straight into the desk via a ESB microbass ll which I always adjusted depending on which bass - it was only recently i was doing a lot of playing with the PJ briefcase that I noticed how low the output from the bass was.
As long as I am not alone and it aint bust :)

BB

I've had two early '90s Thumbs and two Dolphin Pro 1s and I can safely state that the Dolphin circuit has discernably less out put than the Thumbs. One thing that really p***** me off about the Dolly was the weakness of the rear single coil on its own. You really couldn't go to that during a gig; absoultely useless.