Why become a member? ×

Stingray Mods, Anyone done any pre, pup mods ?

Guest BassKS

Guest BassKS

Hi there,

Just some ideas. Heres the deal Im trying to sell all my basses bar one. the stingray. 2006 with all the stock stuff. I owned a fender Pj with EMGS which I loved, Warwick Streamer stage I which hopefully is going to Sheffield soon. I need the cash and relocation will become easier with one bass. So, I need ideas from you guys. and clips....

[quote name='BassKS' post='535789' date='Jul 8 2009, 04:00 PM']Hi there,

Just some ideas. Heres the deal Im trying to sell all my basses bar one. the stingray. 2006 with all the stock stuff. I owned a fender Pj with EMGS which I loved, Warwick Streamer stage I which hopefully is going to Sheffield soon. I need the cash and relocation will become easier with one bass. So, I need ideas from you guys. and clips....[/quote]

You can rewire the pickup easily to give series and singlecoil sounds thru a DPTT switch? Also instal an East BTB MM and sweepable midrange module to make it even more versatile. Nordstrand pickup is worth looking at as well.

Guest BassKS

[quote name='Spartacus' post='535812' date='Jul 8 2009, 04:31 PM']You can rewire the pickup easily to give series and singlecoil sounds thru a DPTT switch? Also instal an East BTB MM and sweepable midrange module to make it even more versatile. Nordstrand pickup is worth looking at as well.[/quote]

Why, is the pup parallel by default? Its not very bassy and with a pick I cant really get that Fugazi sound or even Breeders. The sound of Louis Johnson and Benard Edwards are far from reach too. A great bass though with a lot of presence and I do intend to keep it. just wondering what I can do with it....

[quote name='BassKS' post='535846' date='Jul 8 2009, 05:03 PM']Why, is the pup parallel by default? Its not very bassy and with a pick I cant really get that Fugazi sound or even Breeders. The sound of Louis Johnson and Benard Edwards are far from reach too. A great bass though with a lot of presence and I do intend to keep it. just wondering what I can do with it....[/quote]

Standard SR4 pickup wiring is paralel. IS it the 3 band or 2 band model? Joe Lally of Fugazi used a 2 band so did Bernard Edwards and they sound very different to the 3 band. Jo Wiggs of Breeders and Perfect Disaster used Precicsions and Rickenbackers AFAIR. The John East BTB MM is same response as the 2 band and if you add a swepable mid module you can add or scoop all the guts you want :)

Guest BassKS

[quote name='Spartacus' post='535857' date='Jul 8 2009, 05:10 PM']Standard SR4 pickup wiring is paralel. IS it the 3 band or 2 band model? Joe Lally of Fugazi used a 2 band so did Bernard Edwards and they sound very different to the 3 band. Jo Wiggs of Breeders and Perfect Disaster used Precicsions and Rickenbackers AFAIR. The John East BTB MM is same response as the 2 band and if you add a swepable mid module you can add or scoop all the guts you want :)[/quote]

jo wiggs yes but the other person used Kim's SR as well (red with black pickguard). I do have a 3 band eq which is obviously completely different and Im aware of the older ones having a 2 band. i owned one very very briefly and shifted it. the worst decision in my bass owning life.
I emailed John East here on BC and am expecting a reply. Pickup wise im not sure whether theres any point. a lot of different views on the same thing.
chris from Bass Centre in London told me that the only reason i should change the pup would be to level the output between strings and the best way is SD MM pickup. apparently its the same thing tonally but less noisy and has a bar magnet at the bottom to account for the change in string volume.

Thanks Spartacus

[quote name='BassKS' post='535945' date='Jul 8 2009, 07:23 PM']Pickup wise im not sure whether theres any point. a lot of different views on the same thing.chris from Bass Centre in London told me that the only reason i should change the pup would be to level the output between strings and the best way is SD MM pickup. apparently its the same thing tonally but less noisy and has a bar magnet at the bottom to account for the change in string volume.[/quote]

MM still do the 2 band, its not just on older models.

FWIW I dont rate the SD MM pickups over the stock MM pickup. There are two types, one al-ni-co and the ceramic wit the bar magnet. The bar magnet doesnt even the volume, its the pole piece height that does that so youve been misinformed there. The Nordstrand is much clearer than stock MM or SD with better low end too. As for the EQ the 2 band is very simple compared to the 3 band baxendall filter. IMHO you cant get a vintage Edwards/Lally tone from a 3 band.

Guest BassKS

[quote name='Spartacus' post='535976' date='Jul 8 2009, 08:19 PM']MM still do the 2 band, its not just on older models.

FWIW I dont rate the SD MM pickups over the stock MM pickup. There are two types, one al-ni-co and the ceramic wit the bar magnet. The bar magnet doesnt even the volume, its the pole piece height that does that so youve been misinformed there. The Nordstrand is much clearer than stock MM or SD with better low end too. As for the EQ the 2 band is very simple compared to the 3 band baxendall filter. IMHO you cant get a vintage Edwards/Lally tone from a 3 band.[/quote]

aha nordy sounds better.... Baxendall filter? where do they get these names from? I would love to get a 2 band but with the versatility of a mid band which according to the John Easts website doesnt change the response of bass and treble when fiddled. So nordy and a John East is what Im sensing here..... 300 quid investment. One day.

[quote name='BassKS' post='536090' date='Jul 8 2009, 11:11 PM']aha nordy sounds better.... Baxendall filter? where do they get these names from? I would love to get a 2 band but with the versatility of a mid band which according to the John Easts website doesnt change the response of bass and treble when fiddled. So nordy and a John East is what Im sensing here..... 300 quid investment. One day.[/quote]

I actually have a Nordstrand pickup and a John East Stingray pre-amp sitting at home waiting to be fitted to my 'ray. I'm hoping that its going to keep the Stingray character, but with a bit more in the low mids. I'll report back once its fitted (probably next week!).

Guest BassKS

Thank you guys.... I do like the sound of other people's 'Rays... Its just that maybe im a bit spoiled with a really responsive preamp and the PJ pickups which give you a range of sounds with the slightest rolling of knobs.... Simon, let us know how youre Ray is working out. Higgie, thanks for the Nordy certification. I think I will get one once I can afford them.

Do any of you guys have any clips of Nordy? Anyone? talkbass had some but couldnt find them

IMVHO, the only way to significantly open up the versatility of a Ray is to go for a HH type. I've got a SR4H and fortunately love the stock sound but it isn't good for everything. My G&L 2500 was far more versitile as is my Double Buck Sandberg - but they couldn't/can't emulate a Ray H if you go single pup.

Guest BassKS

[quote name='martthebass' post='536432' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:36 PM']IMVHO, the only way to significantly open up the versatility of a Ray is to go for a HH type. I've got a SR4H and fortunately love the stock sound but it isn't good for everything. My G&L 2500 was far more versitile as is my Double Buck Sandberg - but they couldn't/can't emulate a Ray H if you go single pup.[/quote]

Hmm.. I know, I just want it to do one thing that MM does it but better than the stock. With the John East pre it should be able to and maybe a tiny bit more, Id hope. Its just annoying about having to remove all the guts and paying the EB for all the bits that dont do the job. pup and pre are almost half the price of the 2nd hand bass. Its immense. Theyre getting a complaint.

[quote name='BassKS' post='536462' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:05 PM']Hmm.. I know, I just want it to do one thing that MM does it but better than the stock. With the John East pre it should be able to and maybe a tiny bit more, Id hope. Its just annoying about having to remove all the guts and paying the EB for all the bits that dont do the job. pup and pre are almost half the price of the 2nd hand bass. Its immense. Theyre getting a complaint.[/quote]

EBMM arent known for taking complaints about their instruments very well. Lots of people on their forum have been shot down by Sterling Ball for installing things like diiferent preamps pickups and Status necks. Didnt you know you own the perfect evolution of the bass makers art? :)

Guest BassKS

ha ha....Mean Buggers. I love it how they fail acknowledge all the pre EB examples by not providing spare parts even though they're superior and simpler than their current crazy ass 4 band bongo bass which would only look good on Arnie. That Bowie bassist though, it looks good on her too.

[quote name='Spartacus' post='536465' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:09 PM']Lots of people on their forum have been shot down by Sterling Ball for installing things like diiferent preamps pickups and Status necks.[/quote]

Yup. That's why I, for one, rarely go there any more.

I have a Stingray 5 which now has a Nordstrand in it. Of all the pick-ups I've tried (MM, SD, Bart, Nord) it is by far and away the cleanest and clearest.

Guest BassKS

[quote name='obbm' post='536476' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:29 PM']Yup. That's why I, for one, rarely go there any more.

I have a Stingray 5 which now has a Nordstrand in it. Of all the pick-ups I've tried (MM, SD, Bart, Nord) it is by far and away the cleanest and clearest.[/quote]

Yep. It sounds like were all on the same boat with the Nordies. Im off to San Fran next week and I may order it from Bestbassgear. DOnt know whether its more important to change the pre first or the Pup. Cannot afford both of them.

[quote name='BassKS' post='536481' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:36 PM']Yep. It sounds like were all on the same boat with the Nordies. Im off to San Fran next week and I may order it from Bestbassgear. DOnt know whether its more important to change the pre first or the Pup. Cannot afford both of them.[/quote]

In the SR5 I've had an OBP3 (which it came with), a John East and finally a stock EBMM SR5 pre, which I quite like.

Guest BassKS

[quote name='obbm' post='536485' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:43 PM']In the SR5 I've had an OBP3 (which it came with), a John East and finally a stock EBMM SR5 pre, which I quite like.[/quote]

You dont have a John East lying around now do you? :-).

[quote name='BassKS' post='536511' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:08 PM']You dont have a John East lying around now do you? :-).[/quote]

Only the one in the Sub 5 I have for sale at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassKS' post='536283' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:01 AM']Simon, let us know how youre Ray is working out. Higgie, thanks for the Nordy certification. I think I will get one once I can afford them.[/quote]

The John East is now fitted and its a really great bit of kit. It keeps all of the Stingray tone, but really adds a bit in the low mids. Highly recommended.

The Nordstrand didn't actually seem to add much. It does have a bit more kick in the bottom end, but as the john East is so versatile, I decided on balance to leave the Stock pickup in. So I've actually got a spare Nordstrand if anyone's after one? Virtually new as it was only in my 'ray for one day!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='544269' date='Jul 18 2009, 07:58 PM']The Nordstrand didn't actually seem to add much. It does have a bit more kick in the bottom end to my ears, but as the john East is so versatile, I decided on balance to leave the Stock pickup in. So I've actually got a spare Nordstrand if anyone's after one? Virtually new as it was only in my 'ray for one day![/quote]

PMd